Anyone recommend a good rifle smith..

1stmar

Looking to have a rifle rebarreled and bedded. Does anyone have experience w
http://www.cliogunshop.com? Looking for good work and reasonable turn around. Local guy has had my rifle for bedding for 6 months. Seems excessive for a bedding job and I still don't have it back.

Better ones have less than a month turn around for an epoxy bedding job that entails 6 to 7 hours labor and $10 worth of material at most. He had an obligation to tell you how long of a wait to expect. If he didn't, tell him you want your rifle back and will take it to a better business professional gunsmith.

6+ months for a bedding job tells me that 'smith wants his stock work person to do high-profit fast work than the other types. What other reason would other customers' jobs brought in after yours was get it done before yours is?

Last edited:
" Accurate Ordnance "

+1. They built a custom rifle in half the time your local guy wants to bed your action.

Called accurate ordinance today to have a rifle rebarrelled and bedded. Good news is the lead time is 6-8 weeks! Awesome. Except the don't work on rugers. Sounded a bit strange, didn't think it was that unique.

Anyway... Any other recommendations?

You might try giving Ahlmans a shout, I haven't used them for anything other than checkering a stock. They did that pretty quick and the price was very reasonable IMO.

Send it to me, I can bed it and get it back to you in two to three weeks. Rebarreling takes a little longer but not much, depending on what you need. PM me if you are interested.

Stevens High Power 425 .32

I read through a thread on the Firing Line Forum where somebody was collecting serial numbers of Stevens High Power rifles. I own a Stevens 425 chambered in .32 with serial #2536.

Do anybody know where I might be able to find parts for this gun or possibly a place that can fabricate them? I understand that they are very hard to come by.

I'm looking for the following parts:

•trigger plate
•new carrier
•hammer spring
•hammer spring arm
•hammer spring stop
•lever between hammer and lever
•all the screws: front screw, side screw, hammer screw, loading gauge screw and tang screw

If anybody has any information on where I can find any of these parts I would greatly appreciate it and would be in your debt.

Thanks,

Matt

Well my gunsmith is a long way off from where the OP lives buthe's dane several rifles for me. Shortest time was two months and the longest almost a year. He'd hurt his back and could only do limited work. His metal man had the barreled action ready but the stock had to be farmed out to another. Got lucky as the "another" was Sterling Davenport. :cool: Anyway, my smith is the Harry Lawson company here in Tucson. I have one more build to get done and I hope his metal doesn't retire before I raise up the cash to git-r-done.
Paul B.

It has been 18 months, did you ever get your gun back?

And I am guessing Matt meant to post a new thread with his Stevens question, rather than reply to a year old thread on gunsmithing.

Matt, have you tried Numrich?

The only local smith that produces work I like is pretty fast and very clear about how long it will take. He also calls if there is a hang up.
Ive tried several others who did poor work and had even poorer attitudes.

By the lack of response i should think the OP must have found a solution. If not look in Shotgun News..bluing/gunsmith Mel Doyle, Plummer Id. If a person wants a reliable, compent and trustfworthy gunsmith they need go no further. The only problem is he does so much rebluing he may not have time for other projects. His normal turn around time on bluing is.......about two days! With reasonable prices too! He may yell at me because i doubt he needs the advertising:)

Back