Anyone recognise this bayonet?

David_S

This may not be the right forum for this but I have to start somewhere and I am always surprised at the depth of knowlege displayed here.

I acquired this bayonet from my father. I always assumed that it came from the UK and was for an SMLE No 4 Mk 1 used by the UK and Canada in WW2 but I believe those used spike bayonets. It does not fit the SMLE No 1 Mk III or the No 5 Mk1 (Jungle carbine) as I have tried. I was wondering if it might be for an early FN FAL / SLR.

The scabbard is steel without markings.

I can't find a maker's name on the bayonet but it has the following marks on the guard.

One side 32.R, and underneath that 6166 with 60 at right angles (1960?)
Other side4829 E

and on the blade it has

One side WG across the blade and R immediately above and oriented along the blade (Regiment - Welsh Guards?)
Other side A symbol that looks like the "Prince of Wales feathers" in front of some hard to decipher background.

DSCF6764Small.jpg

DSCF6763Small.jpg

DSCF6768crop.jpg

DSCF6766Small.jpg

Mike Bingo! That's what it looks like. How did you find that out - I had searched extensively but mainly Britain and Commonwealth countries? Any idea what year and what it fitted?

Now, how did an Austrian bayonet come into the possession of a Kiwi serving in the RAF who had no interest in collecting militaria? Though he was a keen rifle and pistol shot.

David

+1 to MikeG. The stamp on the blade "O" over "WG" stands for "Oesterreichische Waffenfabriks Gesellschaft" Steyr. It is certainly a very greasy Austrian 1888 bayonet.

That bayonet fits the M1886 Mannlicher.
http://www.sunblest.net/gun/Mann86.htm
I recently picked up a bayonet for an Austrian M95 that appears to have reused a M1886 blade it has the wide, square ended fuller. I had researched that.

A lot of arms and accessories were spread around during and after WWII. Your father may have picked it up in trade or as a souvenir somewhere.

p.s. I have in-laws in Auckland. The wife is Tongan and has family there.

Thanks Mike.

Yes my father did collect the odd interesting bit - the timing mechanism from a V1 flying bomb (which he used to fire-up a teamaker in the morning), a Luftwaffe bubble sextant and an altimeter out of a spitfire (which I have mounted in my 4wd) and he once showed me some bits of tiles which he said came from Hitler's bathroom!!!!!!! So the bayonet is not entirely out of character.

You're almost a kiwi. Though we South Islanders (the mainland) consider Aucklanders virtually foreigners.

"...SMLE No 4 Mk 1..." No such thing. Only the No. 1 Mk. whatever is an SMLE. No regimental stamps on bayonet blades either. Nor does the PoW'S badge look like that.

T OHeir your signature is "spelling and grammar do count". Perhaps you would like to add "and politeness."

Teknikally you are rite I should've corled em Lee Enfield Rifle: No 4 and Riffle,, No 5 Mk1 but then i just shute em and they are all three-oh-threes to me and my hunting mates and the dear dont seem to kare won way or tother.

As for reggimental byonet markings they ar listed here

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/brit_bayo.html#markings-gb

and gez wot, WG iz the marking fer the Welch Guard (and welch iz spelt rite) and how waz i to no wg also ment Waffenfabriks Gesellschaft??? as i sed i am jest a bush shuter an dont spek ostrian or jerman

And u must have better eyes than me cos i thawt i say wot looked like 3 fethers on that marking on the blade but mebbe the grees got in my eyes.

Sorry:) Couldn't resist that.
Good hunting
David

Back