Anyone owned a Taurus PT945?

lucky085

Has anyone ever owned or does anyone currently own a Taurus PT945?

I am interested in any comments or opinions you may have about the gun.

I've owned two. I bought the first when they first became available. I really liked the gun and carried it for several years until I traded it in on a Colt 1991A1 Compact. I bought number 2 earlier this year.

Both guns proved to be 100% reliable with factory mags and service grade accurate. The ProMags I tried were ify, with some being relaible and some not.

Owned two. The first one had a tapered nose on the slide and metal sights. The locking block broke after about 1,000 rounds. Sent it to Taurus and they replaced the whole gun. Very nice of them except that the newer model had a totally squared off nose (more uncomfortable to carry) and had plastic sights. The sights WILL NOT stay in place and the older metal sights will not fit. Had magazine problems with the Taurus magazines. The mag base would come off if bumped. Aftermarket Pro-Mags worked better. The gun was pretty accurate and the trigger pull was pretty smooth. The safety is in an akward place if you like to carry cocked and locked, which I didn't. Like the 1911 the slide cannot be retracted with the safety engaged. Found the gun to be very magazine lip sensitive, which is not unusual for 45s in general, but other than that was very reliable. Sold mine towards another Glock.

Thanks for info. I believe Taurus is coming out soon with the PT400, which is essentially the PT945 with a different barrel to shoot 400 corbon ammo.

I've had my PT945 (non-ported) for over a year now. I reload and compete in IDPA and pin-shoots with it. I have been very pleased. It's accuracy has been extremely good. It shoots better than I do. I was pleased with the sub 4 inch groups I was getting at 15 yards off-hand firing as soon as I aligned the sights up (practice for both IDPA and pin-shooting). Then a friend of mine tried it and his first 5 shot group was under 2 inches. I then felt very confident about the pistol and my reloads.

I reload to shoot more and load to simulate factory loads. I have shot over 2500 rounds through it, mostly reloads. I don't have any problem with the recoil or recovery time. Once I learned to reload properly, I have not had any jams with it, and never with factory loads. It balances well, especially when fully loaded. I carry whenever possible and find the weight very acceptable. I like the options with the safety/decocker lever. I carry and compete with it DA with the safety on; however, while moving between targets during matches, I flip the safety on until the sights are on target, leaving it in SA. I have never had a problem flipping the safety off before pulling the trigger during matches. All in all I am very happy with it and would buy another one and/or recommend it to others.

[This message has been edited by Shuter (edited December 30, 1999).]

Back