Anyone own a Weatherby Vanguard?

Brian King

Inactive
I originally set out to buy a Winchester Model 70, but came across brand new Weatherby Vanguards in the caliber I want at a very good price. It is my understanding that Weatherby stopped making the Vanguard line some time ago. I was very impressed with the feel and fit of the Vanguard. The only thing that still draws me to the Model 70 is the controlled round feed and the fact that I do not know much about the Vanguard rifles.

I would appreciate any information or opinions, good or bad, concerning the Weatherby. Before I choose the Vanguard I would like some insight from anyone who has owned one.

Thank you,

Brian

Brian:
I have never owned, specifically, the W/Vangurd, however, I do own an S&W 1500 in .243 Caliber. This is the as the Weatherby Vanguard rifle. Mossberg, and Howa made them too.

The S&W I have has been restocked and bedded with the Cody system and produces 1/4" MOA at 100yds, machined tested. I have restocked many of these barreled actons and have found them to be exceptional. I am sure that you will find the Weatherby model the same.

HJN

I shot the Weatherby Vanguard (270 Win) yesterday morning (along with a double triggered Mauser deer rifle in 243).

The Vanguard was outstanding in my opinion. We set up a series of targets, paper targets, tin cans, boxes, etc at approximately 125 yards. After one foray of about 4 shots, I began to put the shots in 2-3 inch groups which progressively got smaller. We quit when I hit the pole holding up the Sprite can.

I'd like to offer a more professional summary, but the truth is I am not that experienced. But that's also my point -- if a rank amateur can hit a 1" pipe at a 125 yards, what else do you need to know.

BTW, I ran into some blurb to the effect that Walmart is beginning to sell these rifles for $400. Is this true. All Walmarts. If so I will probably get one without a moment's hesitation.

Let me know your experience if you get the gun.

abruzzi@bigfoot.com

Thanks for the input guys! Abruzzi, Wal-Mart is selling the Vanguard Weatherguard model (synthetic stock) for $370. Both Wal-Marts in my area are carrying them. Based on your experience it sounds like the Vanguard is a fine shooter!!!

-Brian

Back