Anyone own a S&W 1006?

Dave AA

I saw one in the classifieds today, $450. I've always had a hankerin' for a 10mm. What do you all think about it? I've used a 4006, great gun.
All advice appreciated!

I had a 1076 for a short period, last year. Basically a sound gun, but BIG. I think the 1006 is essentially the same gun, with some minor changes.

I shot it for a week or two, decided I didn't like it, and sold it back to the dealer from whom I bought it -- for a $25 loss. There was nothing wrong with the gun or how it functioned. I just decided 10mms and me aren't destined to get along. I'll take a .45 (or .45 +P) any day.

You should be able to find one for substantially less than $450, if only a police trade-in. (Police trade-ins are great deals -- seldom shot, generally.) Mine looked like new and shot like new. I got it for $325.

Be prepared to choke when you buy ammo, though -- It isn't cheap.

Why didn't you like the 10mm? I like .45s too, is the recoil that different?
I'm not too worried about ammo, I reload. I would have to get 10mm dies. ;)
Thanks!

The 1006 is the same size as the 4506. It uses the same decocking method as the 4506, same leather, etc.
The 1076 had the Sig style decocker, 4" bbl. Both use the same magazines. I got a 1076 a couple months ago, love it to death. Magazines are not too hard to come by, just hit a gunshow and look, average retail on them is about $25. Pretty sturdy guns, feed about anything. $450 is an average price for a Smith 10, I have seen them online from $400 to $599.

The 10mm was just more handgun that I was comfortable shooting. Call me wimp.

The S&W 10s had, deserved or undeserved, a reputation for being less than durable. A large number of them in police service were, apparently, taken bought back by S&W due to cracked frames and other problems due to using the larger round.

The gun I had, a trade-in from a local police department, seemed solid, and that PD had no problem with their guns.

I don't know if the frame problems were widespread, or whether they required a fix, or whether this is another of those handgun "urban myths."

EAA Witness offers a 10mm for about the same price, and I'm really sold on the CZ-7 design (on which it is based); just a small amount gunsmithing should make it into a good gun.

Glock's 10mm, like most Glocks, seems to be nearly indestructible. If I were to do 10mm again, I think I'd go the Glock route, 'cause the polymer frame makes the healthy recoil a little bit easier to tolerate.

And check Georgia Arms for 10mm ammo. Some of the best prices going for quality ammo.

Well, no mention of any of these on the S&W website. No longer produced? I looked into a Glock, but it's just not for me. I can't hit with it like I can with conventional guns.

Some problems could be encountered with the 1076. An armorer advised me to be careful with the decocker, release it lightly and do not use too much pressure. Releasing it too hard causes the wheel inside to skip, and is a real bear to fix.
My slide is marked "10mm" on the underside of the slide, but it appears to be the same as the 4586 slide. Parts should not be too difficult to come by, as the 45 series might be interchangable with the 10 series, check the website and go to parts.
I think Smith quit producing 10s in 93, early 90s at least. Plenty of them are still available.
An option could be that of the .357 Mag, practice with lighter loads and save the big stuff for carry. If you get one, have it PMA'd before you shoot it, make sure there are no cracks or problems. So far I have had one mal, it was on a reload, from an old case.

Back