Anyone load for a 45-75

okiefarmer

Met one of Dad's loading buddies the other day at farm, and he was telling me of his inability to find load data for a 45-75 round. I have heard of 45-70, 45-90, 45-110 etc, but never a 45-75. I googled and found a few examples, but have still heard very little about them. He claims it's marked on the barrel, and the case too. In the absence of data, advisd him he would likely be safe using data for 45-70, as it's still a very spacioius case.

What say the hive? Anyone heard of th 45-75?

okie out

The Winchester '76 were sold mostly in 45/75. I believe it was designed for the M-1876 because the 45/70 was too long for the action. I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the weight of the bullet was 350gr. Ideal #456192 was the correct bullet mold. If he has dies and had someone make a mold, filled the case with BP or eqeivelant to the point slightly above where the base of the seated bullet he probably would have a safe load. That is if his shooter, presumably a model '76, is in good condition

Thanks salvadore,

I would have assumed that the 45-75 was larger/longer than the 45-70. Didn't the second # indicate gr. of BP in the load? Just figured more BP means a longer case, and you are saying it's shorter. I have no info on it, so thans for what you are providing.

I'll keep digging some more also.

salvadore is correct. The 45-75 is a necked cartridge, shorter but fatter than the 45-70. It was introduced in the Winchester 1876, the Centennial model, a rifle based on the 1873 action slightly lengthened.

45-75 case is based on 50-70 brass, and is about 1/4" shorter than the 45-70. A load for the 45-70 would be a good starting point.

Yeah, I found some pics of the round. Had no idea it was a bottleneck case. I doubt seriously if dad's buddy has dies, nor the owner of the rifle either. Would imagine dis might be pretty hard to find now.

Thanks all

45-75

The latest Lyman manual has data (49th edition, page 103)
I have a set of Lee dies excess to my needs if they are looking for dies.

Googled the caliber. Cute cartridge I thought. Kind of reminds me of a REALLY BIG Brother to the 25-35. Anyhow good luck with your quest okiefarmer.

S/S

I know this is an old thread, and may not even be relevant anymore, but being that I came across in searching for loads myself I thought I'd add to it.

There is some data out there, but not much. If he's got an original then I highly recommend staying away from smokeless powder and sticking with black powder.

Dies can be had from Lee and others. I use Lee.

Brass can be had from Midway and Buffalo Arms.

I currently use a NOE 350 grain 5 cavity mould and cast them in 20-1 lead tin alloy.

If he's got a newer reproduction then it's rated for smokeless ammo. You can order loaded ammo but it's on the order of 5$ a round. Lots cheaper to reload.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like any of the reloading companies is going to pressure test loads anytime soon, so start low and work your way up aiming for black powder velocities. So far the powders I've tried are Varget, 4198, and 5744, no fast burning powder for this rifle.

There is a forum or on CAS City forums dealing specifically with the 1876 rifle and all it's calibers, including 45-75WCF.

Back