anyone know

1chig

a buddy of mine was working on an old bridge , tearing it down and found what looks like lead pipe that has a bunch of copper wire running through it. It was burried under a stream running under the bridge. Does anyone know anything about this stuff, pure lead or something else. Thanks

Yes, it's old power/control cable and that is how they made it. It should be pure enough for M/L's. I have not seen any of this stuff for quite a number of years. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

thanks guys, im going to start working on it. gotta figure out how to get all the wire out of it ????

I used a hand axe to split it open down it's length and then peel it open in about 18" sections. Then removed the copper. depending on the conductors, you can salvage the copper as a bonus. As I said before, this was a long time ago but I do remember that the wall was not that thick. ..... :)

Wash your hands and;
Be Safe !!!

thanks for all the good ideas guys, i was all excited about the lead and plumb forgot about scrapping the copper:o Heck yea a bonus!!

There are two choices when it comes to separating the lead cable sheathing from the internal copper wires. You can cut the lead off (I used a hatchet), or melt the lead off. If you melt the lead, the insulation on the copper wires will burn and smoke, but the lead will separate and the copper can be lifted out of the smelting container.

Back