Anyone know what type of steel is used for ap ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

oberkommando

Seen one 06 ap shoot through 1 1/8" steel plate and core was lodged into tree stump and was completly intact and point very sharp. There are concentric circles around the steel core, is this from machining the cores? This seems to be very durable steel how bout making firing pins and extractors out of it? A second shot was trapped in steel with one half the steel core sticking out the back of the plate and point is almost tack sharp.

BTW if you ever shoot steel plate dont get to close as pieces will fly back as my buddy can tell you. We were using his rem 700 behind a stack of tires to shoot steel, he hasn't put scope on it yet, and there in no sights, I left my 700 sighted gun at home, so we had to get fairly close. On final shot I went up to plate (about 15 feetaway) and shot final ap at it, he had shot the previous soft poin and stuck ap and told me to go ahead and shoot the last, as I did not have any sights I figured get close and it will be easier to hit and it was. Problem was the piece of steel plate that imbeded itself in my buddies arm after the shot. I know this was very stupid and it wont happen agin but thought I should warn anyone experimenting with ap or any ammo on steel targets. We did some minor home surgery on his arm when we got done shooting and were at home. Wouldnt want to go to hospital they would probably take police report now days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back