Anyone know the action screw spacing for a Rem. model 7 ?

Rob62

Hello Fellow Bolt Gun Enthusiasts,

I purchased a rifle stock at a local gun show that was supposed to be for a standard Remington model 700 SA (Short Action) rifle.

When I got it home I found that my model 700 SA was too long to fit in the stock.

Doing some Internet research I see that the model 7 / Seven, uses a shorter than model 700 SA receiver.

What I could not find is the action screw spacing for model 7's. Anyone here know what that is or could check their model 7 for me ?

FWIW - The action screw hole spacing on the stock in question is approximately 5.95" Center to Center.

If no one here knows, I will give Remington Customer Service a call next week and see if they have a Technical department to answer this question.

Thanks in Advance,

Rob

I also just checked Boyds gunstock website and they say the action screws are 5 15/16
Boyds website states action screws for a short action 700 Remington are 6 1/2

What did you get for a stock? Is it a stock wood stock or something fancy?

I enclosed a picture of the stock in question. It is a very solid synthetic stock. Nothing like those cheap plastic things used by Remington today. It is nearly identical to a model 700RS (LA) rifle stock that Remington used on the model 700 RS' which were made form 1988-1989.

I believe the stock was originally made by Bell and Carlson for Remington. The camouflage pattern is nearly identical to my 700 RS.

So thanks to you guys I feel its safe to say that this stock will fit the model 7.

Shameless plug. This stock is for sale since I can't use it. $75 shipped in CONUS.

Rob

Attachments

• Rem 700_model 7 stock_resized small pic.jpg
    Rem 700_model 7 stock_resized small pic.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 82
I just re-measured the stock action screw hole spacing again and came up with the same measurements. Using a dial caliper and uncalibrated eyeball I keep coming back to 5.92" - 5.95" center to center action screw holes in the stock.

Something I just noticed, which I think I read about while researching this issue is that the rear action screw on model 7's is or was significantly thinner than what is used on the model 700 SA's. And the rear action screw hole in the stock is smaller than on my 700 SA. At this point I feel really confident this is a stock for a model 7.

However I can't explain the point that your model 7's action screw spacing is 5.75"

Back