Anyone Know Anything About The New Carrying Law In Texas in the Houston area?

Mr.XD9mm

Curious about what is now legal carrying in your vehicle without the CC license? Used to be in Texas if you crossed like 3 counties then it was ok, but new law stated you could carry without a CC license in your vehicle.
Without crossing county lines but the DA of Houston said they would go after and prosecute all those who fell into the above category.

Anyone heard any updates from DPS or other people who have challeneged this stipulation from the DA of Houston?

The new law is designed to give a person the benefit of the doubt. As I understand it, in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, an LEO is to presume that you are traveling if you are found to have a handgun in your vehicle.

I don't understand how a DA could instruct officers in his area to act in a manner contrary to law, but as I understand the law, if the officer, for whatever reason decides that you are not traveling and arrests you and if state can somehow prove that you were not, in fact, traveling, then you would be prosecuted.

I plan to get my CHL but was curious on the fact

Anyone know what is the proper way to carry your pistol to a place where your going shooting? I have a mid sized Suv and when I go shooting I have my pistol case and my magazines behind me in under the drivers seat.
With my plastic XD case closed and 2 magazines loaded in the magazine holding slots.

I can not access my pistol if I wanted to but do not know what would happen if I got stopped for a speeding or minor traffic violation.
And the officer noticed shooting acceriories in the backseat like shooting glasses, ear protectors, box of bullets in a shooting bag etc.?

When I do go shooting I travel a hour or so away from my house to shoot at the family range. Would this put myself in danger of the law? They used to consider travelling as leaving your county and crossing 3 others which I would fall into. Would leave the Houston area from 290 at Barker Cypress and travel west and the otherside of Burton Texas.

Back