Anyone know a good hunting rifle for desert conditions and preferably under $500?

shinwa98

Inactive
Before I start, let me say that I am still trying to figure this forum out, so if this is the wrong place please feel free take it down and point me in the right direction. Anyhow, I am looking for recommendations on a reliable, customizable, and lower priced bolt action hunting rifle. Definantly one that can handle desert weather (wind and fine sand). Also with iron sights and hopefully under $500. I've seen the Remington 700 adl at academy and they look nice, but I'm unsure if there are any ones better suited. Or how I would go about getting iron sights installed. Eventually I will replace the stock,add some quad rails, and a scope. But since I like iron sights I want those first. Any suggestions will be great.

Savage offers great rifles that are accurate and reliable. I've hunted with mine in the dunes of Wyoming and it handled the sand and wind without issue.

I've done hundreds of miles of walking hunting in the SW Texas desert around Terlingua, in south Brewster County, since 1972. Never had any sort of problem with any rifle, pistol or shotgun.

This is an area where you can dust a table in the morning and finger-write your name on it by mid-afternoon, with the windows and doors closed.

Savage offers the best bang for the buck. The combination of the optional accutrigger and 360 degree aluminum bed is amazing.

we really need to ask which desert and what game.if your hunting africa i think you already know $500 is out of the question.

are we talking american southwest or the badlands of the west and upper midwest.

I'm believer in buying one of the "big three" in sporting rifles.
Rem. Win. Ruger.
I'd go with the Ruger American either new or used.

The Stevens is discontinued

Pretty easy to locate one though.
The newer AXIS may even be a better and cheaper firearm.
Affordable and accurate are terms that pertain to both.

I've done hundreds of miles of walking hunting in the SW Texas desert around Terlingua, in south Brewster County, since 1972. Never had any sort of problem with any rifle, pistol or shotgun.

This is an area where you can dust a table in the morning and finger-write your name on it by mid-afternoon, with the windows and doors closed.

Yeah that's just how it is here in Gains county near Hobbs NM and Seminole TX, my main concern came from me having my Marlin xt get jammed from sand in just 20minutes of shooting, easy fix, but I'd like to have something that won't do that as easy.

Eventually I will replace the stock,add some quad rails, and a scope.

Generally speaking, quad rails are not something that is added to bolt action rifles. I am sure some company somewhere will do it, but the only rail section on a bolt gun will be the base to mount the scope on if you go with a one piece base.

If you do end up looking at the Axis and American rifles and want to add a new stock, the Axis will probably be the way to go as several companies are now offering them. Based on the Ruger American's popularity as of late, it most likely will not be long before you can get for that as well, but for now the Axis gets the nod on that front.

Back