Anyone identify this peep and what's missing?

tpcollins

I have my dad's old .22 rifle that my mother supposedly shot a pheasant with when I was 1 year old. So this rifle is at least 65 years old. On the barrel it says:

Wards Western Field
14M 491A 22 S-L-LR

Here are some pics where the peep mounts on the left rear side of the bolt area. The peep mounts into that area and appears to be able to swing and lock out of the way. In the last pic there is a thumb screw for windage but something is missing that screws into the "shaft" for the windage adjustment. I assume the peep screws into that threaded hole. Does anyone know what brand/model peep this might be? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 57
Aperature is missing

The aperature is missing and these came in different diameters and openings. It's obvious that your rifle was made by Mossberg as a "Store-Brand". I have seen Marble's and Mossbergs on these rifles or at least, that is what I have on mine. Can't tell what the make of yours might be. Go to GB or Ebay and look for aperatures. Let me know how else I can help. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

People often remove screw-in apertures for better low-light shooting and hunting. It doesn't affect accuracy very much, at least for practical shooting, but makes target shooting somewhat less accurate.

Win - Win for both of us !!

Thanks for the tip Pahoo,
In turn, I thank you as I have never seen this website or info that you linked to. If you scroll down, you will see the ones I am most familiar with. The internet and this forum, is a super place ... ;)

Thanks again and;
Be Safe !!

Mossberg offered excellent, accurate .22 bolt and semiauto rifles of the general configuration of your rifle. I've owned a couple of each and all were excellent shooters... never had a feed or reliability issue with any of them.

In 1987 I put out bird feeders out for the Cardinals, Goldfinches and Indigo Buntings that inhabited the stretch of river bulff where I lived. The blasted Starlings and Bluejays immediately took over & ran the others off. I declared war on them with the old Mossberg 151 bolt action I had in those days. There was a tree where the marauders would gather, 82 long paces from my back door, and I carefully zeroed the 151 on a target tacked to that tree. I lost count of the 'bad' birds I dropped like a rock from its limbs, using only the OEM aperture sights.

Here are a couple of sources for sights & parts. I know nothing of either but at least they are a place to start.

http://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm

http://www.aperturesnmore.com/category.sc?categoryId=11

Back