anyone hunt with 10mm?

MLC

I need to eliminate some whitetails on our farm. I am outside working on tractors or with machinery all day so I don't want to tote a rifle with me at all times. I have a 10mm and figured that with fast and heavy ammo a whitetail would go down pretty easily. I had three 25 yard or less opportunities today. I have some 180 grain gold dot ammo, rated at about 1200fps, would this be sufficient?

The cartridge will work fine. The 10mm is pretty popular here for hogs when running them with dogs. Most use the big Glocks for the light weight. Ranges are closer though.

Question is - how accurate are you? Figure out how far you can consistantly hit an 8 inch paper plate and use that as your max distance.

Note - a handgun is more akin to an arrow than a rifle. Usually get good penetration but no shock. Expect your deer to bleed out.

close in

less than 25 yards. I usually encounter them when passing through the rows of christmas trees.

Just be careful to put the first one in the right place and you shouldn't have a problem.

What handgun are you going to use?

And let us know how it works out.. :D

I plan on using my 1026 in about 2 1/2 weeks when gun opens here. May have to go to my 610 though. Working on some loads now. Plan to chrony them Monday morning. Hoping I can get my 180s over 1300 and my 200s over 1200 without too much pressure trouble. We shall see. Good luck to you all.

I started carrying a G-20 about a year ago and have killed two hogs and a big ferral goat with it. I really enjoy the pistol and the cartridge. I use 200gr hollow points loaded at about 1100fps. I call it my .41special.

I've been too busy with the customers on the tree farm to pack the ol plastic. I'll keep you posted.

Rob , an administrator on Staff here, has done some hunting with a G20, and if I'm not mistaken, his wife has taken a big hog or two with it. (Of course, Rob's too manly to use firearms on pigs, now; he just hops aboard them and knifes them. I really wish I were kidding.)

10mm=good

I've killed quite a few hogs here in SC with my 10mm[1911's]. I have used various handloads with 180gr and 200gr XTP's mainly. I found the Silvertip's from WW expanded great, but didn't penetrate enough. Old 200 WW Black Talons worked well, but they are a bit hard to find now.

I got a new 10mm this year, and I have been getting it ready to wack a few deer with ......it really seems to like the CORBON 180grn Bonded Core Soft Points. They chrono at 1300 fps, and group well. They ARE BRISK to shoot. When I get time to reload[next season], I plan on running some 200 gr. XTP's around 1200fps.

My experience shows the 10mm performs MUCH betterthan the 357 mag and the 45acp, and nearly as well as the 41 mag.

Its all about shot placement.

Good Hunting,

Will Fennell

The whitetail are not cooperating this year so I have not yet found out if my selected load works well on organic matter. I finally settled on 10.2 gr of 800x over a 200 gr XTP averaging 1300 fps out of a S&W 1006/1026 (5" barrel). No signs of primer flattening, case bulging, or pressure ring problems. Recoil ain't too bad either but it is noticable. ;)

I also managed to get to 1300 with 9.2 gr of Longshot but there were some indications of pressure build up and deviation was more pronounced.

Virgin Starline brass, CCI 350 primers. I have had one misfire with the CCIs but I believe they have always been pretty hard.

AndABeer, that sounds like an awful hot load to me... is it in any of the reloading manuals? Have you talked to any of the manufacturer's reps. about it? I'd check with the propellant manufacturer's technical support people about the pressures generated by that load... Not trying to flame, you understand - I just don't want a fellow TFL'er to blow his hand up! :)

Back