Anyone hunt from boats?

goosegunner

The last legal huntin day in December I finally got a chance to try to hunt from a kayak, with my 12 ga. goosegun, and I got a lot of sea-fowls (I don't know the names of these birds in English) the down side is that you freeze much more than you ever have done before :D , and you and your shotgun get soaked in salt- water. But I will do this a lot more next season.

If any of you have tried this please share your wisdom !!

Hi Goosegunner,
Are they geese or ducks? Sea ducks here in the US east coast are usually called "Scaup" or "Eiders". We also have Canadian and Snow Geese that frequent our shores. I hunt mostly on local rivers, and always from a canoe. We usually refer to this method as "jumpshooting". I usually maneuver upstream of the birds, then paddle with one hand as necessary to approach them slowly. They usually flush at about 20yds, giving me an easy crossing shot. Just don't look at them, or make any fast threatening moves. As far as they know, you're just another one of the many kayakers and canoers out on the water!
I've had much more success with this technique than I have using a blind. I don't even camouflage my boat.
Here's one tip: tie your shotguns's rear sling swivel to the canoe or kayak, using marine rope! Also, make sure to practice shooting with your lifejacket on. I'm looking around for a lifejacket that is relieved in the right shoulder area for better shotgun mounting.
Do they have steel shot requirements in Norway?

As I say, "It's as easy as shooting a moose from a boat." Of course, shooting big game such as elk and moose up here in my neck of the woods is commonly done out of a jet boat....don't know how legal it is, but hey, my moose sure tastes good....

It was comorants and some sort of "diving- ducks". It is not legal to use lead, and you can use anything else, but I use lead anyway (non-toxic loads are expensive!!). And why would you camoflage your boat? It is impossible to hide on open sea anyway. Try a inflatable lifejacket they are more expensive, but are more comfortable. I use one while hunting on slippery rocks close to open sea

Back