Anyone here use red dot sights??

J33Nelson

I think I might be interested in a red dot sight for my Ruger GP100 (KGP-161). There is a lot of red dot sights on the market and they can range from $20.00 to $500.00. Just curious if anyone here uses red dot sights, what kind, and any comments on certain brands??

Thanks in advance!!

J33Nelson

P.S. Why did the moderators disable the search function??

"Sorry. The search function has been disabled by the administrator."

Last edited:
Red Dot believer........

I use a tasco pro point on my S&W 22A and I can shoot the balls off of a fly with it. Red Dot sights and laser sights are AWSOME!:cool:

I've used AimPoints on a couple open IPSC guns with good results, a Tasco PDP5 on an AR- good scope but crappy(technical term) mounts, would shoot loose no matter what I tried, up to and including red Loctite.

I have a Millet red dot scope on my 7-1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag. I use for big game hunting. I had it on my Ruger MKII side slab 22lr. pistol in the spring for ground squirrels. I have had no problems. with it. I have taken those ground squirrels at 80yds. with it. It has a 3"moa dot. Mark:)

I have two but neither is on a revolver. I have a Tasco Propoint on a Ruger MK II, and a Leupld/Gilmore on a Ruger PC9 carbine. It took me a little getting used to on the pistol. The percieved movement was a lot greater, but after shooting it awhile, I could shoot better than I could with iron sights. On the carbine there is parallax. If I don't have my head on the stock in the exact same position for every shot, the groups open up dramatically. I think it is obvious that optical sights work very well in competition. All the top guns in IPSC Unlimited Class, plate shooters, and bullseye shooters are using them. Check out : http://www.bullseyepistol.com/ there is a lot of good information about red dot sights on that page.
After trying the red dot, I am now intrigued with the idea of trying a scoped pistol. I am thinking (not real seriously) about buying the top of the line Ruger Mk II and adding a scope. I had a scope on a MK II years ago, but foolishly sold it. But then, every gun I ever sold was foolish.

Does anyone want to rank the red dot sights?? I am sure Leopuld Gilmore would be #1 but after that I am not sure. It would be a great help to me..

J33Nelson

There is a lot of good factual information available on the web, including the web site I listed in my previous post; www.bullseyepistol.com. There are a number articles on that site including; Facts and Figures about Dot Sights.
Barring that, check out what the pros are using. Sure, some of the big names have sponsers and use their equipment. But, they wouldn't be winning if it wasn't good stuff.
I believe that the Tasco stuff is what is hot right now.

Red-Dot Sights

After the advent of byfocals, some sort of aid was necessary if I wanted to continue shooting NRA Bullseye. At first I went to Aimpoint(the initial ones were kinda heavy). After several years of shooting them, I switched to "Ultradot". I have them on my three "bullseye" revolvers. They are tough as shoeleather and function well. Incidently, the military shooters I have seen are currently using them.:cool:

red dots

I've tried quite a few different models of red dots. For starts to try out, I started with a BSA 42mm for a bout $50 on auctionarms. Works ok but cheaper models of red dots use a blue tinted filter, I believe to illuminate the dot for the shooter. This led to losing the dot with both eyes open as the target and backgroud are two different colors. I then scaled dow to a Tasco PDP3+ 33mm dot. At $90 this scope had considerable imrovements. First the blue filter thingee was gone and second except for the filter of view being smaller because of smaller lenses, the dot pickup was faster. Also with the tasco the flare or halo effect from higher intensity adjustments was greatly reduced. Helps alot when being used outside.
Finally, I'm moved to C-More Red Dots. Let me tell you. having the laser project a dot on the lens vs an LED being reflected back to you makes a huge difference! You will no longer lose the dot or be affected by losing the target or background with the 'tunnel' effect.

I've also tried Gilmore and Tasto Optima 2000's The Gilmore's behave like the Tasco ProPoints but to an even better degree. The Optima's are similar to the C-Mores but are alot smaller, fainter dot w/o battery upgrade pak.

So here's my Rankings:
(1) C-More or any other projection style device or similar size
(2) Gilmore very high quality optics but still deal with the 'tunnel-effect' (I used an AimPoint CompXL once and was similar)
(3) Tasco Optima 2000 Very small, auto on/off, projection style optics.
(4) Any Standard Tasco Propoint3 or Above, and Ultradots. Very reasonable.
(5) The bottom All BSA Red dots, Tasco Accudots and ProPoint2s

I know there are alot more out there, Millet, Simmons, Holosight ect, but I haven't personally used them yet.

There was a comparison article a few years ago in one of the gun magazines, and the Ultradot was the top scorer. All of them at that time performed pretty well, but the Ultradot had the least parallax, and was rated more rugged.

I have an Ultradot on my 22, and it's worked flawlessly for three years now.

Also bought a $40 Tasco Propoint PDP111SPL, and it works very well on an Aimteck mount, attached to my K-frame 9mm revolver.

Both allow sighting with both eyes open, and have equal dot brightness ranges, but the Ultradot seems to have a slightly brighter view, and finer dot.

Bill Adair

Anything above the 5 on my list work well. The recreational shooter can use any of the above and won't noticeably see a difference between scopes. So in that mind "cheaper is better" especially when you first want to try one out w/o dropping lots of cash. That's where I started. I still have a PDP3 and PDP2 on a pair of buckmarks. I had my BSA on my .44 and .357 for a while.

However, if you're looking at picking up speed for any type of competition. In time and experimentation, you're notice the changes I noted above, and see the seconds fall off your time.

By no means am I a great pin-shooter, but over the past 2 years, I can see the differences in events when I changed scopes. Not counting practice, becuase I've changed optics in the middle of an event and picked up time.

This is all IMHO and experience. Everyone is different.

Back