Anyone here own a S&W Scandium pistol?

You mean SCAMdium?

Scandium is selling right now for about $175 per gram, the S&W pistols are about $580....hmmm

Is scandium any more different to work than regular aluminum alloys? If you need different equiptment to work it the cost will do up. What is involved in manufacturing the alloy itself? I assume that scandium-alluminum alloys are not made in the same volume as the other aluminum alloys used in firearms.
Is scandium alloy harder than aluminum? Then the cost of tooling alone is huge.
The price of an object is more than just sheer material cost.

I have one

I have a 386 Mountain Lite. I have shot it a little, with no apparent problems so far. Previous owner put 50 through it too.

Its very nice, and a dream to shoot with .38 +Ps.

I have one and have had no problems.

Aluminum alloy only require 2% scandium in order to strengthen the alloy. No different than how the material is used in aerospace.

It's true, Scandium is just a grain refiner. Smaller grain structure decreases the chance of a microcrack from growing bigger.

It is used by Easton in baseball bats and by military contractors in aircraft parts.

I own a 337 S&W AirLite Ti .38 spl. I replaced the Uncle Mike's Boot grips with Hogue Bantam--took .8 oz. of weight off the gun. It weighs around 11.8 oz. unloaded--13.5 loaded.

158 gr. FMJ's can kick like hell--some loads are not TOO bad--Fiocchi 158 gr. broke the skin between my thumb & index finger. Now, I see these new Scandium models in .357 magnum...same size, same weight...they've got to really hurt.

Who owns one? If you do, what's it like to shoot? I know these S&W featherweight J-Frames are not for "pleasure" shooting, but that .357 has to be a MOTHER on your hand, pinkie, or whatever. I got the new S&W catalog yesterday, and they showed two of the new .357's with HIVIZ sights--I like that. I painted the top of the front blade of my 337 with my wife's VW Beetle red touch-up paint--a "poor man's" version of S&W's factory red insert.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.:D

I thought about the 340PD in .357 but the owners of two gun shops convinced me to get the 342PD in .38 instead. (Great guys who sold both). Basically the argument centers around increased accuracy, (including the reality that you are not likely to practice much at all with the .357 because it hurts so much)!, ability to get more rounds down range quickly, you're not picking up much with the .357 beyond more muzzle flash and recoil in such a short barreled gun, etc. Who knows? But for a pocket carry gun I am glad I went with the .38. Should be more than enough if God forbid, I ever have a "close encounter."

Yes, I own a Scandium 360. The first cylinder full it blew the sideplate off, cracked the back strap and flame cut the top strap clean off. It also kicked so bad I couldn't stand it. Now I have $600 worth of spare parts in close proximity. :eek:

Are you happy now? :p

This is fiction. The 360 is dynOmite!

I've got a 360, but haven't shot it yet. I traded my 342ti (same gun in .38) for it. The 342 kicked a lot, and I expect the 360 to kick even more (though I can always download with 38's if it's too much). I just haven't had a chance to get to the range yet. The gun seems very solid, though.

I'll be posting the problems (w/ pictures) with my 360 early next week along with how S&W is handeling the problem :mad:

So if your thinking of buying one soon wait a few days!

Back