Anyone here hand load 9mm Largo?

ciwsguy

Ordered some new 9mm Largo brass which will be here shortly. What dies work for you? I’ve got a Hornady 9x19 die set.

I'm pretty certain 9x19 dies won't work. If you can't find 9mm Largo dies, 9x23 Winchester might work, but the dimensions for 9x23 are just slightly larger than 9mm Largo, so if your gun has a tight chamber brass sized for 9x23 Winchester may not fit.

I used rcbs 9x19 dies for a destroyer carbine but they will result in a cartridge with some recess in the middle. 38 super dies will work as will 9x23 winchester which are probably the "best" to load the largo. You could also use a 38/357 sizing die and a 9mm flare and crimp die or possibly a 38/357 taper crimp set with a different expander plug. The 357 expander plug in a lot of 38/357 sets is .358 and way to long and big for .355 projectiles. You may be able to use 38 bullets depending on your chamber. 38 super comp dies would also work as the 9mm largo is basically a rimless 38 super with a case head identical to 9mm luger/30 luger. RCBS #13 has data and WAP is a good powder for the cartridge. I can't remember which powder is the same under a different label today. It might be True Blue. 231 will work as will unique.

The 9mm Largo is a tapered case so a 9x19 (9mm Luger) size die will work well for that. You can use the 9X19 dies for the rest of the stages, or, because the Largo is similar in length to the 38 Super (the Largo is slightly longer, but just slightly at 0.010" longer), you can use 38 Super dies for flaring, seating and crimping.

It's kinda the same deal as 9X23 Winchester. And I use a 9mm sizer followed by 38 Super dies for that round.

Try your 9mm dies and see how that works for you.

@rc, The old WAP is now sold as Silhouette (NOT TRUE BLUE).

What load data will you be using? If you are shooting this out of a star super b do not start towards max. Im assuming your using starline cases as I think they are the only ones that make 9mm largo.

I used Luger dies for years. You maybe able contact someone and they could make you a set of custom dies. Thats what im going to do when I get around to my Largo project

Never ever use 9x23 winchester load data ever. Just a friendly reminder.

If you have any of the spanish santa barbara ammo and a chronograph its a good load to copy.

If not PM me I can spare a box a have a 1000 or so.

Good luck.

Last edited:
A steel resizing die is available from CH4D (middle of this page), but at $82.87, it's not for the faint of wallet. As mentioned, other 9 mm dies can be backed out or adjusted to set them up to handle the other operations, so you wouldn't need the whole die set.

A steel resizing die is available from CH4D (middle of this page), but at $82.87, it's not for the faint of wallet. As mentioned, other 9 mm dies can be backed out or adjusted to set them up to handle the other operations, so you wouldn't need the whole die set.
True Unclenick, but on the flip side you only have to buy them once. This What I told myself when I paid $129.00 for Redding Competition Seating Die you recommended. lol

No, I have plenty of other pistol powders, power pistol, w231, accurate #5, etc.
Since RCBS makes a die set that covers 9x19, 9x21 and 9x23, I thought I’d just get that set since it’s available at a local retailer. What do you guys think?

It boils down to if you are going to be shooting alot of Largo get the Largo specific dies. Its entirely up too you. Btw, what firearm are you loading these for?

My largo reloads will crack in kimber 38 super chamber but do fine in a destroyer. AA#5 would be a good one to start with. Don't be afraid of 147 grain bullets in the largo as the case isn't as thick as a 9x23 which is too thick near the base for the bullets to seat right as that does run at much higher pressures. You should be good with any 9mm luger data and might bump it a bit if you have a chronograph to guide you using 38 super data as a top reference.

Back