Anyone having accuracy issues with their Mossberg Patriot Night Train 308?

I can't seem to get my Patriot to fire better than 2 moa at 100 yards. I've done everything I can short of reloading my own ammo. There is still a few brands of ammo I need to try but has anyone experienced accuracy issues with this rifle?

If so, what ammo did your Night Train seem to like? Best I've found is 180 gr Federal Soft Point shooting 2 moa. I feel it can be more accurate than that.

If this is the wrong forum, my apologies.

Hi. If you're not reloading, you'll have to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The cost of said ammo means nothing.
It being a .308 I'd suggest starting with 165 grain bullets instead of 180. A 165 will kill any game you care to hunt in North America with a bit less felt recoil and the .308 loves the weight.
However, you need to do a couple things. One being the trigger pull. Your rifle has an adjustable trigger. What's it at now? If it's at the 7 pound max, adjust it to 4(less than that is ok for a target rifle, but too light for a hunting rifle.). And tighten all the stock and sight screws.
And don't test for groups off a bipod. They're cool and all, but not stable enough. Use sand bags.
And after all that you may still have a rifle that will not shoot any better than hunting accuracy. Hunting accuracy that is consistent beats one hole groups that are not any day. One hole groups are usually things of fairy tales on the gun rags. Consistency is way more important.

patriot night train

I agree with checking the action torque to begin with. Did this come as a package with a scope? If so check to make sure the mounts are torqued as well and that the rings are tight to. Having to buy a different box of ammo for every bullet weight gets expensive however this rifle should shoot better than 2" groups at 100 yards, Checking to make sure all the screws are tight is the first step...

Larry

Back