Anyone have the Weigand package on sp 101

Blue Duck357

The whole "Tame the Beast package has ports and such, but I'm mainly interested in good of a job he does on the trigger. Frankly I'd like to know if I send an sp 101 to him can he make the double action as good or better than a factory *&*.

I'd also appreciate any comments on his work in general.

Thanks, Blue Duck

The trigger is QUITE a bit better, but I wish it didn't have the ports. I especially like the polished trigger face. Very comfortable to shoot.

The porting sends a lot of blast straight up, and isn't great for a defensive gun where you might not be able to shoot from a fully-extended position. If tucked, you can burn yourself. Blast from a 357 round was around 2-1/2 feet high. I'd rather it go out the front, where if I don't get 'em with the projectile, the blast will cook 'em.....not me. Get the trigger work, but don't get the porting.

Don't know if it would be 'better' than a S&W, but it will be better than stock. Very easy to set.

I want one too, but without the porting.

I have handled smiths worked up by Weigand and they are beautiful.
CharmedLyfe,
Did you get the front night sight too?

Mikey

Thanks for all your comments! I was going to "delete" the porting option anyway, but thanks for confirming my choice in that. Just did not know how good a trigger the sp 101 was capable of with still being reliable.

Thanks, Blue Duck

I am curious what people think of the basic SP101. I just bought a "used" one for $200. It looks basically NIB and feels pretty good in my hand. I could not pass it up at the price.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

I have had a Weigland Tame the Beast conversion of the SP101 for about 5 years now. It was one of 1000 that Davidsons had done by Weigland and sold them on the open market. I am impressed by the polishing on the trigger and pins. I stiil think the trigger on my "well broken in" Speed Six is better than Weiglan's custom job. I installed a set of Wolff's lighter springs in the action and now it is passable. The ports Are nice and make rapid double action fire with 125 grain full house loads accurate and easy to recover and keep on target. While I never worry about the port discharge I think I could live without them.
My overall opinion is that any decent revolver smith could do the work that Weiland did to my SP101 and probably at half the price. Knda neat having one though. It is always a source of interest when I pull it out at the range.

Back