Anyone have experience with Crimson grips?

Alex,

This may not be much help, but my cousin e-mailed me last week to tell me that he had put a set of the Crimson Trace grips on his S&W Airweight in .38 Special. He said the setup works great, and helps him shoot faster and more accurately at the indoor range he goes to. He didn't say anything about using the gun outside yet though. I'd be interested in seeing just how bright they are in daylight.

Hope you get a more informative answer.

stars

I liked them so much on my 642 and 940 that I bought a set for my SIG P229. Very neat and are fun to train with when doing dry fire practice.

had a chance to try out a pair on a s&w 638. It was a eye-opening experience to see the good accuracy from a 2" snubbie. The grips were also comfortable with 125gr nyclad std pressure and easy to activate. Did not get to try them out on a sunny day. I will eventually get a pair myself.

So, Jeff and contender, how much longer (on the bottom) than the J-frame grip frame are they? I ask because the J-frame grips shown on Crimson Trace's site look to be the size of the grip frame, whereas the J-frame CT grips shown on the Thunderwear site (cheapest place I've found them at $179) shows them to be longer.

I have a 940 with Uncle Mike's boot grips on it (I'm pretty happy with the size of them, but I don't want to go a lot longer than that) that I think might benefit from the addition of a Crimson Trace grip, but I really don't want to get into a $179 grip that's too long to conceal in my front pocket.

Last edited:
I think they look kind of neat. My main interest was that I would be able to use the 158 grain loads that shoot way too high in my model 60 without having to modify the gun itself. They would also appear to make it easier to shoot the snubnose more accurately. I did see the $179 grips which was what I was interested in, but only if they are the small size that don't extend out the bottom.

contender4040:

The older plastic "J" frame grips are pretty much the same size as the standard S&W boot grips. New for this year is the Rubber Overmolded style that has an on-off master switch on the bottom and is about 1/2 of an inch longer.

I have a both a Smith Airweight (without Laser) and a Taurus Titanium (with Laser) - the Smith is a little bit smaller, but both fit in the same size pocket.

In bright daylight the laser is worthless. At all other times it is just great and a super training device.

Is it the best thing going? - no. for the "Gun Games" a red dot is much faster and the better red dots have positive click setting for longer range work. But when it comes down to street combat or an actual CCW type close encounter, nothing is better than that little laser.

Elliot

Erich, there are two models for the J-frame. The one that I have is the size of the boot grip or Eagle Secret Service grip. A new model was added and is called the overmold, it is much larger extending beyond the grip frame.

Back