Anyone have experience with an AR in .243 Win?

Futo Inu

I think Armalite makes these. Pros and cons? Seems that if your purpose is varmints or medium game, not defense, this is superior/more versatile to .223, esp. at longer ranges or in windy conditions, with the heavier 6mm bullets. Thoughts/experiences on parts, etc? Hey, if you're shooting varmints, then fun is the name of the game, not food - and what's more fun than a semi-auto AR? And how would equally accurized .243 and .223 ARs compare in accuracy?

Foto

I don't think anyone makes an AR15 in .243 Win. I don't think it is dimensionally possible.
There are AR's in 6mm/.223(a standard .223 case necked up to .243). It's strictly a wildcat/handloader cartridge.
It should be possible for an AR10 type rifle to be barreled in .243 since the cases are virtually identical.
Incidentally, the 6mm/.223 flat out whips the pants off of the heavy bullet .223 loads for down range energy/retained velocity figures.

------------------
Regards, Sharps.

Yes Armalite makes a .243 Win AR-10. I have a Ruger M77 .243 it is a great Deer rifle and varmit gun. Heck my brother killed an elk with his .243 I feel the caliber would perform in an AR style rifle. However with no military Surplus ammo availalbe in .243 I feel .308 would be the better choice.

My $.02

Later
Daren

Back