Anyone have anything bad to say about S&W 3913?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hes

Inactive
The other day, I had a chance to handle the 3913 and really look it over well. I already have a full size auto, and am looking for something smaller, and size wize this model is just what I am after. I have not been able to find much info on the net, and the little I found has all been positive. Aside from the price and the limited capacity (not an issue for my intended use), has anyone had any complaints they could share about this model?

Also do you know the difference between the 3913 and the 3913TSW (tactical)? The TSW is slightly shorter and slightly longer, and just a bit heavier. Beyond that, S&W provides no info on their web site.

Thanks for the help!

Henry
Greenville TX

Hi hes

I had a 4013, which is essentially the same gun but in .40 S&W instead of 9mm. It's slightly larger especially through the slide. It had wonderful sights (Novaks) and never had any malfunctions. I ended up selling it though mainly because I found it just didn't fit my hand very well. Overall I would reccomend it though. BTW, S&W autos have horrible resale values, I took it in the shorts getting rid of the thing.

bkm

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

I carried a 3913 as my primary ccw for several years. I bought it for the same reasons you described... the size, weight and concealability were just right for me. I'm a Beretta guy but they just don't make (in my opinion) a concealed carry sized weapon. I've put about 2000 rnds through my 3913 and it has been 100% reliable (not one single malfunction). I also think it's plenty accurate for a defensive weapon.

Complaints: The gun has become noticeably "looser" as time goes on. It was tight as a drum when it was new, now it rattles like a tambourine. It still functions fine, it's just loose and that bothers me. I also noticed that the recoil springs don't seem to last all that long. I've replaced mine twice. I didn't really have to, the recoil just started feeling funky and I felt like I needed to. Finally, the change from double action to single action operation seems more "odd" than with other DA/SA autos. All of the above is just my experience. I haven't really heard of anyone else having these problems.

I'm in the process of working in a SIG P239 as my ccw. If I can solve some trigger issues, the Sig will become my new primary carry gun. If I can't, I'll happily go back to the 3913. I probably haven't been any help at all have I? ;)

Check out the Kahr K9. Probably a better weapon for the money, and more size efficient.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

Go with the 3913 its made by a great company with great service. I have one and my dad has one also 2 guns and no failures after 2000 though mine and 1000 through my dad's no failure at all shooting HP and ball.
I would suggest it highly lighter than the Kahr also...Only problem with it that is same as Kahr is price of the Mags

I had one and wish I still had it. Out of three that I have experiance with, they all shot low - even using 147s. Be interesting to see if the rest of you have had this problem or if it was a specific batch or something.

Mine was not bad low, just enough to be irritating. Someone made me a good offer and away it went. Was 100% reliable and great to carry.

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

The only problem I ever had with my 3913 was a bur in the magazine well that caught on the magazines as they were inserted. The factory smoothed this bur off, so the gun is fine now. Otherwise, I've found it to be top S&W quality and completely reliable. It's also easy to carry concealed, although my Glock 26 has superceded it in this role.

The 3913TSW may be a fine pistol, but IMHO it's not worth the extra money over the standard 3913.

I carried a 3914 for about three years. No problems, I liked it alot. I didn't like the original plastic grips and replaced them with a set of smooth wood from Hogue. Very nice. Also, when carried IWB under a t-shirt and directly next to the skin, It did tend to chafe abit after a while. But that could just me the way I'm built. All in all I was very pleased with it. After our CCW law was changed to allow SA autos, I put it away in favor of my lightweight Commander and finally sold it simply because I didn't use it much anymore and needed the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back