Anyone have any experience with anything like...

JimDandy

This recoil pad?

I asked in the Gear forum and haven't gotten any responses, so I figured try going to the rifle forum most likely to have people using one. The big Bolt Action forum.

I was sighting in my .300 RUM after playing with a .223 for a while, and realized I had a pretty bad flinch when I forgot to take the safety off... I saw this online, and picked one up, but haven't used it yet. Just wondering if others have tried something like it.

Also thinking of replacing the factory butt mounted recoil pad as the rifle is old- anyone know what the factory installed so I can replace it with "original" parts?

I have one of the PAST mag shields I wear under my shirt when shooting 458 win mag. It moves around a bit and I was going to have it sown into a T shirt but never did. I don't use it on my 300 win because it's ported and it's a kitten on recoil. But I like the shield, it works.

PAST pads work well, but some shooters don't want to wear a recoil pad.

Remington factory recoil pads have about as much give as a truck tire. They are solid rubber. Put on a Pachmayer Decelerator, ghey are the best pad on the market. If you want something softer, Kick-Eez or Limbsaver pads are softer, but they really don't hold up well.

Put a Kick Eez on my 416 Rigby, but it's a heavy rifle by design, piece of cake to shoot... I had MRS sew a pocket ( actually 3... 2 in the elboes for shooting prone ) into a lightweight orange fishing shirt I use for a range shirt... I have Browning pads I got at Cabela's that fit into the pockets...

had one of those pictured, floating around here somewhere... just could never talk myself into putting it on...:confused:

I've had mine a while, so they changed the style, but this is what I have ( require a shooting vest, or a pocket sewn onto a shirt or jacket to use...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning174-G2-REACTAR8482-Pad/1152333.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DBrowning%2Brecoil%2Bpad%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D21%26y%3D7&Ntt=Browning+recoil+pad&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

My father uses one for .338 WM, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .450-400 3.25".

He thinks it helps a lot. I think it just screws up the ergonomics and puts the rifle in a position to hurt you or accelerate fatigue.

I don't like putting anything compressible between myself and a heavy-recoiling rifle, if it isn't a butt pad. Other pads tend to screw up your hold, and (if used improperly) give the rifle time to get up to speed before it smacks your shoulder - which isn't much different than letting it free-recoil.

Remington factory recoil pads have about as much give as a truck tire.

Mine was the exact opposite. The SuperCell that came o my Remington 700 was the nicest "stock" recoil pad that I have used. My Savage, on the other hand, had a butt pad that felt like they were trying to compete with the diamond on the Rockwell scale.... That thing hurt. A limbsaver fixed that problem.

My friends and I have used my one inch PAST pad for years when target shooting. It helps a lot even though we have either the Decelarator or Limb Saver pads on our rifles. You don't want it for hunting as it makes the length of pull to long and who notices recoil on big game?

I used PAST pads for years when I was shooting ATA trap. Bought shooting shirts with the pads already sewn in. You begin to appreciate them after a day shooting 500 targets. If recoil is a real serious problem try installing an Edwards Recoil Reducer.:)

Have used a Past Ambi for many years at the bench. I've also replaced my recoil pads with the new generation, like KickEEZ.

The first time I ever shot a 338 RUM, it belonged to a South African aquaintance. It was a Remington 700. He had installed a muzzle brake, a new classic synthetic stock with a Pachmeyer Decellerator and a Dead Mule mercury recoil reducer. I can honestly say shooting that rifle felt like a 270 Winchester. I was amazed at the lack of felt recoil.

Last edited:
I have the older version that has the cross-chest strap. I've been using it for 20+ years now when I do long sessions at the range with centerfire rifles. I think it helps tremendously and keeps my shoulder from being blue the next day.

I've had a Past Magnum recoil pad for years, bought when I started working up loads for milsurps. Getting walloped by a steel buttplate while shooting off the bench is definitely not my idea of a good time. That pad makes it much more enjoyable, takes the pain out of shooting a .303 Brit or 7.62x54R off the bench. I see no reason why it shouldn't help tame a magnum rifle although a Caldwell Lead Sled might be a better choice for those heavy recoiling belted magnums.

Stu

I just bought 1 and tried it. I've got a bad shoulder and it made in big difference with my 308. I was afraid I was going to have to give my 308, now I can shoot pain free.

Anyone have a recomendation for the replacement butt pad? Not looking to modify the stock, just swap out something via the two screws type of change...

I dont know if it is the recoil or the sheer concussion of the Rum that makes you flinch. I developed a flinch that took me a long time to get over when I got a piece of powder in my eye that burned me. I am more apt to flinch shooting a .243Win with a muzzle brake than I am shooting a 7Rem mag without one.

Back