Anyone have a Ruger M77RMKII in 30-06, 6.5x55 Swede, or 7x57 Mauser?

Dogger

Was checking out the Ruger at the local gunshop today. I like the Mauser action and the walnut stock -- preferring it to the offerings from Winchester, Remington, and Savage that I examined. I would mount a Leopold Vari-X II 3-9x40 on whichever rifle I purchase.

Curious to know if anyone else has this rifle and set-up in 30-06, 7x57mm Mauser, or 6.5x55 Swede... and how do you like it?

Any reason why I should not go for the Ruger?

Thanks!

The Leupold Vari-X II is a good scope series. I have a Ruger 77 in .30-'06 with a Nikon 2x7. I love it. Mine is old enough to have the tang safety. It has never failed. I've hunted with it in the northwest (Montana,) and the southeast (Georgia and Florida).

Mine is a ruger 77 tang safety -06 with a leopold 3-9

drops whitetails everytime
In the cover i hunt it spends most of the time at 3 power
except when that grey squirrel runs across a log 250 feet away
:)
dZ

I have a Ruger M77 and a bunch of 6.5 x 55s, but not in the same gun.

Some general notes:
Leupold: Good scope, rugged, with clear optics, though IIRC, the Vari-X II doesn't have click adjustments, and I'm not overly fond of that. But it works quite well, nonetheless.

Ruger M77: Well designed action, with really nice stock lines. Except for their heavy bbl. varmint guns, the triggers are almost uniformly awful, and they aren't adjustable. You replace them or stone them. My .308 is a 1 and 1/2" gun at 100 yards, even though the barrel looks very crudely finished. I have been told by a gunsmith friend of mine that the Ruger barrel quality is spotty. Mine shoots fine though, so I can't complain. My experiences with Ruger service have been quite positive as well.

Cartridge: Any of them will kill anything you want to hunt. I like the Swede; it's very pleasant to shoot and somewhat exotic.

If you are a reloader, be aware that the 6.5x55 Swede case is not in the .470 case head diameter family of brass that the .308 (short) and .30-'06 (long) are in. Neither is it in the .530 belted magnum family. It is different: .476. The OD of the case just ahead of the rim (web area) is larger than the .308/.30-'06 family of brass too.

Appreciate the replies. I have an M38 Swedish Mauser that I really love, but I don't want to hunt with iron sights. CZ/BRNO, Ruger, and Winchester all make bolt-actions in 6.5x55 Swede. I really like the Mauser action of the Ruger and their walnut stocks are just right -- not too flashy, not too plain. The 6.5x55 Swede is a sweetheart of a round. Awesome sectional density and good killing power without all the recoil of a .308 or 30-06. I am leaning hard towards placing an order for the Ruger tomorrow...

Back