Anyone have a pic of an original/restored VZ24?

The original bluing is a rust blue. Brownells sells a rust blue kit with instructions, but you will need a tank long enough to hold the barrelled action. You can "sort of" duplicate it with a caustic tank blue by NOT highly polishing the metal and/or going over it with about 400-600 grit emery paper before bluing.

Jim

Is the entire action, sans bolt, blued?

What about all the little metal discs along the furniture? The bayo lug?

My problem is so much of the bluing is gone, I've got no clue what was originally blued and what is just dirt.

Let me see. The bolt and all its parts are bright. The action is blued only on the external surfaces (as is normal with rust blue). The follower is bright. The bolt release is blue; the screw is a "fire blue".

The trigger guard and floorplate and the screws are blue. The unit disc and stock bolt are bright. The sling swivels and bolts and screws are blue. The bands, including the front band, are blue, but the nose cap (the part attached to the stock), which includes the bayonet lug, is bright. The buttplate is blue.

The muzzle crown is bright.

The stocks look like they are varnished, but it may be linseed oil coatings. They do not have the dull look of U.S. military stocks.

I think that about covers it.

Jim

Thanks

I'll have to print this one for reference as I decide if it gets the dremel or the Oxpho.

Back