Anyone have a .375-50 BMG?

MAD DOG

I am getting very interested in building one of these, as the ballistics seem to be absolutely incredible.
It would seem to be as flat shooting as the 25-06, but with oooh gobs more bullet weight. Standard 350 grain bullets pushing 4000FPS. Wheee!
I think that I can design a double ogive bullet for it that will have a BC value greater than 1.0!
These can be turned out on a swiss screw machine at fairly low cost.
(I believe that Barnes already offers one like this in .50 cal. with a BC of 1.025)

Do any of you have any experience with the .50 BMG necked down to .375?
Pac-Nor has the reamers, and can do the barrels, all I need is some positive feedback from a user, and I am off and scrimping to save up for the parts.

The Air Force was playing with a wildcat 50 necked to 375 and they ran into the same thing I did with the Fat Mac (shortened 20MM to 50. We were vaporizing the surface of the bullet and metal fouling the bore like you can't believe. There is a limit of no return on some of this stuff

Gale, I'll certainly defer to your experience, but from my reading in Very High Power and talking with Eric Williams, isn't the .50 BMG itself borderline "overbore"? I believe some of the new, very slow burning Vita powders have helped. I know that several of the smaller .50 wildcats were developed in part due to this issue.

I suspect that the .50 BMG necked down to most anything would be very overbore!

Regarding awesome cartridges the Soviet 14.5mm x114 seems to be a wildcat in itself as it shoots a 994 gr. bullet at 3200 fps.
Then there is the Besa 15mm x104 which shoots a 1160 gr. slug at 2900 fps. This info according to the 5th edition of MILITARY SMALL ARMS OF THE 20th CENTURY. With rounds like this who would want or need another wildcat.
Any experiences with these Gale??

------------------

Back