anyone have 1st hand experience with the taylors runnin iron?

BerdanSS

Toying with getting a new CCW. My carry pistol for a long while has been a .45 Uberti cattleman with a 4.75" barrel. Here recently I've been bitten by the "sheriff" model SSA clones bug.

The only experience I have with the little SSA clones was a ejectorless DROP DEAD Beautimus bone pack hardened 3.5" USFA in .45 Colt. A local shop had it, and the owner had labled the tag to read "USFA shop-keep". It was a special order that was never picked up. I dont remember how well it shot, because it was the first single action I ever fired......and I was barely big enough to hold it with both hands and still reach the hammer to cock it.

The LHSS Runnin iron looks like a perfect candidate but I know uberti have several 3.5s out there under different names through various importers. id really like a 44 special or 44-40 but no one shows the little sheriff models in anything but .357 and .45 colt. Since I already have other .45s and 45 colt dies...I figgure I'll go with one in .45

Anyone have/shoot one of these? how do they handle? Does the lower/wider hammer and wider trigger really make much difference?.....and of course, can you hit the broad side of a bandito with it?

No experience with the shopkeep, but i am glad to see that someone other than myself carries a Uberti Cattleman concealed, lol!

I have two in 3 1/2 inch barrel. I use them for cowboy action shooting. I had the factory tuning done. Had to replace trigger springs because the factory tune made it to light. I load 6 gr of Trail Boss and a 200gr bullet. I shoot gunfighter and love these guns. For carry I would not get the factory tune. They would be just fine the way they come from Taylor. I just strip them down to frame for seasonal cleaning. Easy enough to do. so if you wanted to replace any parts you can do it yourself. Just shoot them and see how you like them before changing any thing. I think you will be very happy with them. They shoot to point of aim

Good to know Bowdog. Are your pistols ejector-less models? I like the thought of having an ejector since it would be a ccw. Although I get the feeling due to the short length, the ejector may not kick the spent casings all the way out.

I did see today that cimmaron shows a 3.5" uberti in 44-40...but I'm really starting to like the idea of a lowered and widened hammer spur that is on the long hunter Runnin Iron, which I believe is pretty much the same thing as the El Patron CMS. Both only offered in .357 and .45 colt.

Back