Anyone Get a SC CWP Lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclayto

Just curious how long it took. I mailed off my application 5 weeks ago, the check cleared the bank the first week. I am assuming the cleared check means everything on the application was completed correctly, now I am just waiting. I know it can take up to 90 days, just curious what your SC wait time was.

A relative is moving to columbia very soon....

what in all is involved in the process in SC?

Cost for permit? restrictions? renewals?

It's pretty painless here in SC. You have to take an 8 hour class which involves a live fire range exercise. The classes run $50-75 from what I have seen. The instructor will usually fingerprint you and assist with all the paper work that you package up and mail off to sled with a $50 check. Then you wait, and thats the hard part :)

So total cost 100-125 depending on the class you find. Columbia is nice, great indoor range/gun store there. They will enjoy it.

an 8 hour class is painless?

And that's what's stopping SC recognizing the rest of the southern states CCW's.

SLED is not your friend.

AFS

Ok I lied, not painless. It was about the most bored I can remember being since college. But I know the guy is only teaching what sled demands him to teach, so I took it in stride. I did hope for a little more than "this is a gun, this is the trigger, this is the muzzle" but it was about what i had expected.

The firing part is a joke, you shoot 50 rnds, 3,5,7,10,15 yards. 35/50 on a huge silhouette.

It wasnt "painless" but cheaper than other states I think.

Thanks for everyones replies!

A relative is moving to columbia very soon....

what in all is involved in the process in SC?

Cost for permit? restrictions? renewals?

When he gets here and is classiffied as a "SC Resident" have him call the Columbia PD and ask if Capt. Tate is still giving the CWP class, or if CPD still offers the class. It was free thru them. They fingerprinted us for free, but I think they were changing that policy to a $15 charge. Just drive over to Broad River rd. and get that done free at SLED. They'll need a couple of passport photos, CVS drug store for $7 and 5 min. if they are not busy.
It actually took me a littel over 90 days due to "Equipment malfunctions" that made the ID cards.

When I got mine I was told to expect it to take the full 90 days. Mailbox to Mailbox was 60 days exactly. New Hampshire permit was supposed to be two weeks and took 56 days. The fact that they have cashed your check means nothing because the fee is non-refundable whether they issue it or not. But if you don't have anything in your past to cause problems then there shouldn't be any reason to worry. If you do have something then you should have checked it out before you applied.

As someone else said the whole deal is pretty painless except for the cost and most people with a little sense would be bored with the course we has a few in our class that did not pass it and I am glad. One lady hit that big target one time out of 50. She never could shoot the gun without closing her eyes and looking the other way.

Got mine four months ago, it took the full 90 days. I also applied for the FL nonresident permit so I could carry in the rest of the southern states and it got there in about 70 days.

I applied back in November of 2016. When I called for a status update they informed me they did not look at my application until January 5th. I received my permit January 21 making it 47 days from when they looked at my application to when I received my permit in the mail. Hope this helps anyone looking to apply for a SC CWP.

I got mine pretty late last year. I don't remember an exact count, but it took something like 82 days. I actually called SLED and they told me I could send it in a month before my 21st birthday because they wouldn't get to even looking at it for at least that long and would hold on to it for me if they did get to it before my birthday.

You take your class (complete waste of 8 hours) and then you shoot 50 rounds at a target at absurdly easy distances (complete waste of 50 rounds), then you fill out two fingerprint forms as well as your application and a photocopy of your driver's license and maybe a couple other documents I'm forgetting and a $50 money order to SLED. Probably cost me a little over $100 all told with the class.

Not particularly painless or friendly, but at least it's shall issue.

Guess I should have checked the thread date before responding.

dakota.potts said:
Guess I should have checked the thread date before responding.
Yeah, nine years is stretching the definition of "lately" quite a bit. This is also a topic which belongs more properly in L&CR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back