Anyone familiar with Stevens 5100?

David Roberson

A local gun shop has on its used rack a Stevens 5100 SxS in 12 gauge. The gun is also marked with the Savage name, from which I assume it was made in the late 1930s to mid-'40s. The gun appears to be a member of the 311 family. It has simple but nicely done checkering on the grip and foreend (apparently factory). Overall it appears in very good condition -- used but not abused.

My problem is that I can't find any reference to the 5100 model. Fjestad doesn't list it. Is it an uncommon variant of the 311? Any idea what it's worth? I just want it for a shooter, but if it's an unusual model, that would be a plus (I have several older Savages and wouldn't mind a few more).

This is usually listed as the Springfield 5100. My pricing guides are several years old so I'm not sure of pricing. Pricing is very different in various different localities anyway. What may go for $300 in one locale may fetch $500 somewhere else.
Springfield was one of the companies under the Stevens umbrella (Savage, Stevens, Springfield). The 5100 is basically the same as the Model 515; various gauges, boxlock, double triggers, steel barrels, checkered wood, pistolgrip and splinter forearm.
There will be a date code stamped on most every Stevens companies double-barrel shotguns produced between March 1949 and December 1868. Usually it is behind the hinge pin or ahead of the triggerguard on the bottom of the frame. It will appear as a small circle containing a number and letter. The letters correspond to to year. The significance of the number is unknown. The lettering starts with A - 1949, B - 1950 etc up to N -1962, P - 1963 R - 1964 on through V - 1968.

Back