Anyone familiar with Springfield Automatic Shotguns?

Revan

Inactive
I have inherited a Springfield Automatic Shotgun from my grandfather. It obviously is very old, the bluing is all worn off and the forearm stock is cracked. What I do know about this shotgun is that stamped in the left side of the receiver is "Springfield Automatic Shotgun" "Springfield Arms Co", "Utica, NY USA". On the barrel close to the receiver is stamped "Proof Tested 12 GA" and the letters "SP" with a circle around them and the word "Full" below it which I assume refers to the choke. The only other markings on the shotgun are what I assume is the serial # "5939" which is stamped into the receiver right in front of the magazine ramp for loading ammo. By the age of my grandfather I believe it was probably purchased in the 30s but I'm not sure. If any old timers out there have any info on this gun please let me know. Thanks for any help.

Don't get all excited. Stevens bought the Springfield name and used it on some shotguns. Savage bought Stevens and continued to use the Springfield name.

Don't get all excited. Stevens bought the Springfield name and used it on some shotguns. Savage bought Stevens and continued to use the Springfield name.

They also discontinued the use of the Springfield name on shotguns in 1948.

Maybe about shotguns, but not for the brand name......... My then-new wife bought me (for our 1st Christmas) a brand-spankey-new Springfield Model 187 autoloading .22 rifle from a department store's gun dept in 1966 that was actually a Savage/Stevens.

Come to think of it, Savage was still making "Springfield" break-open single-shot shotguns in the 1960's too, for discount stores like S.S.Kresge (sp ?), F.W. Woolworth's (WoolCo), etc.

Revan - Your Springfield autoloader is an "off-brand" Savage, of which there were several different models. (Savage was based in Utica before moving to Mass)

If the top/rear of the receiver's "squared-off" (ala Browning A5) it could be a Savage 720/726/740/750, and if it has an alloy receiver, a M-745.

If the receiver rear/top is rounded, it could be a Model 755 - the alloy receiver version of which was the M775.

Pics and/or a more detailed description might help.

Last edited:
Back