Anyone Else Shoot BP More Accurately Than Centerfire?

Kvon2

I'll admit my handgun accuracy leaves something to be desired.

With that being said, I shoot my 1860 army better than any of the 3(.22, 9mm, and .40sw) modern handguns I own.

Has anyone else experienced this?

A friend of mine, retired police officer, emptied his service revolver at a shave cream can with out hitting it. I handed him my 1860, which he had never even held, and he hit it with the first shot !

My 8 inch Pietta NMA is very accurate, but I attribute that to the long sight radius. I'm sure if I had a 7 inch or longer barrel revolver, I'd be just as accurate with that as the NMA.

It still depends on the gun. My 7 1/2 inch Colt navy is more accurate than my 8 inch 58's and my dragoon with a 9 inch barrel. It's my most accurate bp revolver. I have modern guns that will beat it plus some modern guns it will beat. All with shorter barrels.

Nope!! I can't say the same.

A bold claim I'll make tonight:

My S&W Model 41 and especially that (weighted) Browning Medalist I happen to own will group tighter at short or longer distances than any of those antiquated revolver type B/P firearms. All of em.

Depends on how much effort you put into tuning and getting the right load, bullet weight, powder, etc. for both. Find what each weapon loves and you should be very accurate with both. Of course my old ass isn't as steady as it used to be!

Nope, can't say I can shoot muzzle loaders more accurately than centerfire.

V6vkcFM.jpg

That's five shots at 100 yards with my Ruger #1 single shot in .22 Hornet. I have never matched this with my ML rifles, but then my ML rifles don't have a modern scope mounted on them either. Wind drift is brutal with a patched round ball while a modern spitzer bullet barely notices it. Yes, they drift too but not near as much as roundballs do. This group was shot in wind free conditions.

As what I read the OP commented "better than any modern."

No category's of this or that type Action only? Just a generalization _ he can do.

Now that bold statement the OP made was a head turning challenge to All who shoot some really accurate modern-day weaponry no matter the Action held in hand. I hope I've explained my theroy as to how I interpreted this OP's _Threading. "For me It was a fun Thread to return a comment.

I shot this target with an open top 1860 Army Colt, 25 yards one hand hold offhand. But I've shot higher scores than this with other guns.
I used an aiming point that was below the target frame to get the group on the bullseye.
yOT7MzD.jpg

Finding I enjoy shooting my black powder revolvers more than my cartridge pistols but wouldn't say I'm more accurate with them.

I would say my most accurate pistol is this muzzle loading target pistol made by Ten Ring Precision, definitely capable of giving my Smith and Wesson model 41 a run for its money.
Both can shoot better than I am capable of holding.

js8unMm.jpg

Assuming you're talking hand guns instead of long guns...I don't own any centerfire handguns. But the few I'f shot recently were either double action revolvers or semi-autos that had very heavy trigger pulls and short barrels...so my 1851 and 1860 with light trigger pull and long sight radius were about 1/4 the six groups as the centerfires.

In the video below I was using a tripod rest, since I was testing the relative accuracy of several loads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLV6wbQDg9M

I recently got the Pedersoli 1860 volunteer rifle. Currently I can do about 1 - 2 inches at 100 yards. That is better than some smokeless powder rifles I own.

Back