Anyone else like 'great war' arms ?.

Ya I like those and my 1917 Enfield is one of my favorite rifles mostly for the history and for the awesome price of $160 less than 2 yrs ago. I also love the other WWI stuff I have such as a 1903 Springfield bayonet in scabbard, doughboy helmet, and a belt with canteen, cup, cover and a mag pouch. I did have 2 of the 1917 bolo knives as well. I also have a german demag bayonet, a real one that cost me more than my 1917 rifle. Unfortunately, I somehow unluckily missed out on my great uncles 1917 artillery luger with shoulder stock.

There is just something about great war artifacts, no matter what they are. Its hard to explain. Between their age, the fact that the US was not involved for that long and that it seems much less popular than the civil war or WWII, its just more appealing to me in many ways but my favorite war (how about that as an oxymoron) is still WWII.

I like them very much ...
s6000463pp2.jpg

s6000500zx0.jpg

so6000438fq0.jpg

Nice Lebel Zen...is that an MP40 sling on the gew98 ?. Love to see more pics of the gew98 as well..they are my favorite.
I thought I had pics of my Patt'14 and 1911 SMLE...... bet they are on my old PC dang it !.
Anyhow here's a few odds and ends.

Attachments

• 88 sideviews.JPG
    88 sideviews.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Kar98a stack.jpg
    Kar98a stack.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 84
Yes I love 'em, especially the Mauser!

I have 5 Mausers from that era, what beautiful guns.............

.............. Simon , I agree they are my favorite.

And this is just a small bit of the couple dozen that habitate my safe(s).

Attachments

• Rack 2.JPG
    Rack 2.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 56
Yup. 1918 Colt Model of 1911. Photogenic pistol, with the new grips. I used this angle because it's harder to see the wear! :D

1911.jpg

Russian Revolvers?

Nice collection guys! I have a question, several years ago, I read The Romanofs..In the chapter telling of the execution at Ekaterinburg, it mentioned the solders firing "heavy caliber revolvers" Now the little 7.62 Nagant could hardly be called "heavy". Could it be that some were still using the old 19th centruy S&W Russian contract revolvers? I have never seen this mentioned before. Thanks!

Here are some from my small collection: A Kar.98AZ, M1903 Mark I, Berthier-Mannlicher Mousqueton d'Artillerie Mle. 1916, and a SMLE Mk.III.

Attachments

• wwirifles.jpg
    wwirifles.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 75
Some more great war P r 0 n for those that care...

Attachments

• bayos.jpg
    bayos.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 51
  • trench mag and cover.jpg
    trench mag and cover.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 58
Wee bit more for now.

Attachments

• NV rear 2.JPG
    NV rear 2.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 37
  • NV front 2.JPG
    NV front 2.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 31
  • danzigsmledisc.jpg
    danzigsmledisc.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 35
Like Great War arms?

Would having a 1917 SMLE, 1917 Swede 96, and a 1917 Webley Mk VI count?
If so, then YES!

Also, Mauser Broomhandle, P.08, and Savage 1910 .32, although not of Great War years production.

Well for sure a 17 smelly and webley count...but a swede not so much as all those rifles did during that time was guard fondu.

What would you guys say are two or three of the more inexpensive but good starts to a WWI collection?

A good start for the money... well SMLE's are still about fairly cheap from that era unless it's matching and unmolested , at which point they can get very expensive fast.
There still is a fair number of gew98's around in various mismatch conditions at a fair price.
Patt'14 and Mod1917 rifles are fairly plentiful in shooter conditions that are not terribly expensive.

Back