anyone else having problems getting a CWP in Umatilla county Oregon?

bigghoss

back in April I filed for a concealed weapons permit with the Umatilla County Sheriff's office. It's my understanding that by law they have to issue or provide a written letter of denial within 45 days. Since Oregon is a shall issue state and I have a clean background and have the proper training they have to issue the permit. But it's been 91 days and I still have not received my permit. I called the office and they said they were backed up on a lot of permits and I'd have to be patient. I contacted the NRA and they told me to contact the attorney general's office, but since today is Friday July 3rd there was nobody there. I really get the feeling that Sheriff John Trumbo doesn't want law abiding civilians like myself to be armed.

Anyone else here have the same problem? Anyone know why it takes so long? It only takes 5 minuets to buy the gun in the first place, it should be no problem to whip out a permit within 45 days.

I guess I just need to vent my frustration because it feels like the people that should care don't.

In Washington County it took 30 days to get an appointment just to turn in the application, they do not allow drop ins even if there are no shows and the office is empty. :barf:
After I finally turned in I received the permit on day 55 in the mail box. One of the reasons/excuses they gave me was that "all permits have to get a special number from the capitol before they can mail out the permit and that takes however long it takes". I've no idea why it took that long to get the "special number" as they created the permit while I was in the office and the background check and fingerprints were also done before I left the building.

Cliff

finally called the OR DOJ to report the sheriffs department. they referred me to the state police, who put me through to the hotline to dispute being denied or delayed from purchasing a gun. I get the feeling I'm going to have to make a few more phone calls...

CHL

I recieved my CHL from Umatilla county in about 35 days. The gals in the office were really pleasant and we shared a few stories about our kids and our own chilhoods. I really wish more public offices were like this. I felt very comfortable and was very pleased with the experience.

Mike

Back