Anyone compared the Steyr against HS2000?

tlhelmer

I am considering one of these pistols and was wondering if anyone has shot or owned both and can provide a comparison and contrast. I have read the links from the HS2000 site, but I would like firsthand objective comparisons.

I owned both HS2000 in 9mm and Steyr M40. HS2000 has never, not once, failed in any way. I still own it. Steyr M40 shot one single round and never worked again. Returned Steyr M40 and took a loss. Tried a Steyr M9, and it, too, failed early on. In all fairness, I was the first on my block to buy each of these pistols, and also at early, non-discounted, prices. BUT, early failures and inability to remedy are surely not confidence-inspiring. It may be that all the fixes made by Steyr have solved most, if not all, problems. OTOH, the HS2000 and all others I have knowledge of, have worked from the get-go. Now this post will surely bring petej88 out of the woodwork, as he really likes Steyr M's. He will admit, as he has to me, that he has had problems with his pistols. Still, he likes them; better it seems than other brands. On one or more occasions he has implied that I and one or two others who have related their honest experiences are "dissing" Steyr. Not at all; I am just sharing my experiences, and they - theirs.Do a search on this forum and others (GT, etc.). Read what you find about HS2000 and Steyrs. Then YOU decide. Good luck and good shooting!

I have "handled" both...
my observations...
Triggers: are kinda "different" I slightly favor the Steyr. Really don't like either gun's trigger.
Workmanship: hands down to the Steyr. (appearance & finish only!)
Price: HS2000 is the easy winner. Less than $300 clams for what promises to be a very durable gun. Time will tell.
Product Support: I've heard good reports regarding both manuf.
Product Market Reputation: HS2000 is a new kid on the block. Too early to fairly rate.

If money is an important/critical issue...HS2000

If not, I'd pick the Steyr. Just on looks and finish alone because I feel from what I've read and heard both guns will do the job. Eventually I WILL own a Steyr M-40...someday!
If the HS2000 had a little more eye appeal I'd probably add it to my "want to buy" list too. It's too clunky for my tastes. If I want another "clunk"...I'll buy a another Glock.
My .02

Actually, the level of quality in the machining and execution of the HS2000 is very high, inside and out. In fact it was this quality which initially captured my attention. Moreover, the internal, metal, load-bearing structures are extremely robust. I thought the level of workmanship on the Steyr was good, but not outstanding. It was the operational performance , as noted above in my earlier post that distressed me.BTW, I consider the Sig P-210, of which I have had two, a P210-4 (German Border Guard, 1955) and a P210-6 (1998 vintage commercial, new) to epitomize mechanical excellence, construction, and finish. As it should be for almost $2K.

I'd go with the HS2000. I had nothing but trouble with the 2 Steyr M-40's that I had. Both were very unreliable and constantly jammed on me. Thankfully the local dealer that I bought the original gun from was able to get me a full refund. The very next day I bought an HK USPc .45 Hopefully Steyr has addressed all the issues with their pistols but I'll never buy another one.

Well, I own both the HS2000 and an M-40, and both guns have been very reliable. The Steyr had some FTFs in the very beginning, but works flawlessly now. I'd give the Steyr a slight edge, though the HS2000 is pretty hard to beat for the money. The M-40, for me at least, has a very comfortable grip, I like its safety features, and the trigger is decent (after the free upgrade).

Which one to get? Do as I do and buy them both, especially since the Steyr goes for slightly less than the Glocks. In fact, get the HS2000 first before the prices go up, and then the M-9/40. Life is too short to have only one gun.

Never had an HS2000 so no comment on that one. Did have the M-40 and altho I liked several features on it I had to cave in get rid of it. I could have had one of the early ones that were prone to some problems with light striker hits. Mine had problems with the slide returning to battery also, some feed problems, rear sights came lose, etc. Too many bad things to overcome.:)

I've come out of the woodwork :)

I've had excellent success with my Steyr M357 -- 4000 rounds.

I saw an HS2000 for the first time and was very impressed. When it comes out in 357 Sig, I might get real serious :)

Back