Anybody use a Vepr?

Correia

I know that we have a few forumites who have these, but I haven't seen any reports yet on how they shoot. I'm interested in it's reliability (should be pretty darn good I assume, it's based on an RPK), accuracy, and trigger. And does the scope mount let you still use your iron sights.

I was thinking about getting a semi-auto .308 next year for deer, (and for the heck of it). I really like the m1a1, but it's out of my price range for a while.

I have a vepr and love that very much. vepr is not so popular so it is not known by others. Basically, vepr is an ak. It just does't have ak's appearance and hi-cap mags. It is very well made rifle and can shoot better than many aks. With vepr, you can have ak's reliability and better accuracy. It won't shoot as good as M1A or AR, but it still good. I can shoot it about 4 MOA with surplus ammo. With a proper break-in and good ammo, the group can be better (I believe). If you are an ak fan and would like to own a high quality ak, vepr is the way to go (I assume you don't mind having only 10 rounders with you).

Thanks Vince, I don't mind the ten rounders, since it is a .308. I just thought it would be fun to have a high quality AK.

I've put a couple hundred rounds through one. It was very reliable, and excellent trigger. I was grouping about 1.5 to 2 MOA with Milsurp ammo (Cavim). I'm pretty sure that I could get it down to about 1.0-1.5 MOA with some handloads. Overall, one of my favorite 308 rifles! Seems to need a firmer hold than an M1A for some reason. I highly recommend them!

------------------
An unarmed man is a subject.

I looked at the VEPER because my bro suggested it. Problem is that its based on a rifle intended for a smaller cartridge.
I didnt see an easy way of adding a solid scope mount that would be tough enough to handle the .308...
I looked at the FAL and desided that it was the way to go. The M1A from Springfield is very nice... But heavier and bigger and more expensive.
I just learned that the FAL actually beat out the M1 in military trials... (Oops M14 while in the Army. Sorry, was thinking Springfield's gun.) The FAL performed better - but lost the contract because it wasn't American Made and it was more expensive. The rest of the western world at the time went FAL. Intrestingly shortly after the M14 was adopted - we rolled out the M-16. After getting every one talked into the .308 we switched to .223. Damn Yankees! ;)

The VEPR may be a good gun in its own right - but I think there are some better choices.
Now, if you really got a great deal lined up for the VEPR - then cool. Or if you really want a .308 AK... Then it would fit your bill perfect.

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

i like my Vepr alot!
I upgraded to a PSO2 scope on a N-11 mount
much sturdier!
0925-09.47.jpg

Mine is going back to Robinson next week so they can look at the cartridge denting problem mine has.

The importer stands behind the product

http://homes.acmecity.com/thematrix/one/40/vepr/vepr.html
http://homes.acmecity.com/thematrix/one/40/vepr/vepr.html

the Vepr Super looks very nice! http://club.guns.ru/eng/vepr.html

i have run a few rounds thru the rifle and am quite impressed with the accuracy

it hits a 4 inch circle at 50 yards every time.
the recoil is not noticed by me as much as my 30-06. I think it suits its hunting purpose quite well. If i get some more range time and find the right match loads, i may try shooting it against ARs in a practical competition this year. It really has the WTFIT look...

dZ

[This message has been edited by dZ (edited February 08, 2000).]

Back