Anybody tried the EAA 1911sc ultimate?

scottycoyote

ive been wanting a small light 1911 for cc for awhile. Id about decided on the colt defender, was looking hard at the springfield emp for awhile but decided against, then saw in a magazine write up the other day the EAA 1911sc ultimate, seems very interesting for the money. Any experiences with it, either in 45 or 9mm?

Made in Turkey by a company called Girsan. I looked at them at this year's SHOT Show. Not bad, but a bit rough around the edges. I don't know how long Girsan has been around or how long they have been making 1911s. I'm pretty certain they haven't been sending them to the U.S. market for very long.

It's an attractive price, but there are so many companies today offering Officers-size 1911s for affordable prices, I think I would hold off on the Girsan until they've built up some kind of track record.

ok thanks for that. Yeah most of the professional reviews have been favorable, especially at that price point, but of course i always take those reviews with a grain of salt.

what other small 1911's are you referring to though? I havent seen many (when i say 1911 i mean a true 1911 with a grip safety, so that rules out sig 938, kimber micro, etc). In that class all ive seen is the kimber cdp, colt defender, springfield emp (although not truly a 1911) then you go past $1000 and get into the new s&w and its up from there.

Rock Island CS (Compact Size) series
Metro Arms American Classic Amigo
SigSauer 1911 Ultra Compact
ATI Titan 1911
Tisas Trabzon PCS1911

There are a LOT of 1911 makers out there, in prices ranging from $300 to $30,000. Not all of them make an Officers ACP or Defender size pistol, but most have something in that class. Look around.

BTW - I think most 1911 aficionados accept the Springfield EMP as "a 1911." Yes, they truncated it a bit to adapt to 9mm and .40 S&W, but the fire control mechanism remains pure 1911. I would probably own an EMP if they weren't so expensive.

And you can't really go wrong with a Colt Defender. I carry a Colt Officers ACP so I don't need a Defender, but IMHO it's a fine pistol.

Back