Anybody own an Ithaca Ultralight??

twoblink

http://www.ithacagun.com/store/newguns/classic_37.html

Anybody own any of the 20 gauge, 5lbs shotguns? The reason I ask is I'm interested in it, but I don't know if the recoil is more significant or the handling characteristics is worse because of the lack of weight, and also how well they'll hold up...

Because it's an Ithaca, I'll go ahead and assume that it will last until my great grandkids die, should be accurate and reliable, and worth every penny...

Anyone, comments?
Albert

I don't own one, but have shot one. They kick a little more than a standard weight shotgun, but what the hey, it's only a 20 guage. The real beauty of the lightweight is that they mount and swing so easily. When the birds are fallin, you will not notice the recoil. It would be an excellant choice.
Good Shooting-John K

Haven't shot one but....

For quail, grouse, general upland hunting, this should be a great choice for any game where one walks a lot and shoots a little. For high volume shooting like dove or clay games, it may seem a bit hard kicking.

In an ideal world where I've more shotguns than Tiger Woods has golf clubs, my dove gun would weigh maybe a half lb more than my quail gun,within gauge. My clays gun, more yet.

This is not to say that a round of sporting with a light shotgun is a bad idea.Many rounds might be...

Don't know about the new one. I got the model 37 deluxe featherweight about 30 years ago. It has busted truckloads of pheasants, rabits, quail, and whatever else my youthful self could find. I had to have the barrel straightened once (v.mild bend) and replaced the shellstop spring once. It ain't as pretty as it once was but I can still drop 'em.
Mine has no recoil pad and I never minded the arm banging.

What about for my girlfriend to use? She's really petit, is this a good idea, or a heavier gun so the kick is a bit less? Or should I just double up on the butt pad?

Albert

Twoblink, doubling up on the butt pad means effectively a longer stock. Unless she's bigger than you that's not a good idea. If the two of you MUST share a shotgun, get the stock fitted to her with a good recoil pad and you wear a wearable recoil pad like the PAST job. It's easier to work with a shorter stock than one too long.

My recommendation, bite the bullet and get her the shotgun,properly fitted to her. Then, if budget allows, get yourself one.

As far as kick goes, stock fit and form are the main means of handling kick,then comes load weight and velocity, and gun weight. Most folks of slighter build do better with the 20 than the 12, if gun weight follows the Rule of 96, the kick will feel the same.

The Rule of 96. A sporting shotgun should weigh 96 times the shot load, ie, a 1 oz load means a shotgun of 96 oz, or 6 lbs. Much heavier than this, you're carrying too much weight, much lighter, you're getting too much kick.

Back