Anybody have experience with a Kimber 1911 in 40 S&W

Waldog

I am contemplating purchasing two Kimber Stainless Gold Match pistols. One in 45 ACP (Of course) and one in .40 S&W. Anybody have a Kimber (any model) in .40 S&W? What are your impressions? How about magazine reliability and feeding?

I thought it might be a fun gun for IDPA. I have other 40's and like the cartridge.

Lots of the single stack 40's I see don't run very well, Kimbers included but not any more so than anything else. My belief is that the vast majority of the problems are magazine related. Good 40 magazines for a particular gun can be hard to find.

One thing that helps dramatically is to have the barrel throated for long loads and loading 40 at 1.235"-1.255", makes magazine selection less critical and nearly every gun will feed better.

I had SS Pro Carry II in 40, was a nice gun, but if it had been 45ACP, I would probably still have it. Got it to run with Tripp Research Mags, take the stock Kimber mags and throw them in the trash. Finally decided 40 is not for me, and sold all my 40's, I really wouldn't reccomend a 40 1911 to anyone.

Back