Anybody have experience neck turning 270 Weatherby

Rex Rugged

The rounded radius seems to be a bit more of an issue with this brass. I was wondering if anybody had ideas of the angle of the cutter.

I've done lots of neck-turning on target rifles, but a hunting rifle?
Any accuracy advantage would be more than made up for by the unpredictable factors of a hunting situation.
But it's a hobby. I used a Marquart tool.
Have fun.

I like to shoot and I like very small groups no matter the rifle. It's a good feeling having the best groups of the day with a 270 hunting rifle!

I have not done this on a Weatherby case. I would take my carbide-faced micrometer and set it to the OD of the neck and then slide it down along the neck until the micrometer jaws start to mark the brass because of the widening taper onto the shoulder. Outside turn to that mark and stop. If you find your cases last long enough to form "The Dreaded Donut" inside at the neck's shoulder with the case body, you can turn over top of it.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt to go for maximum precision in seating a bullet in a weatherby magnum by (properly) turning the necks--but I'm curious as to how much is really gained given that it is a belted cartridge with an intentionally long freebore--in other words have there been credible tests to show significant improvements? I'm not saying I doubt it--just want to know if it really does help.

I would not neck turn a Weatherby case with a radiused shoulder. In stead, I would ream. Or, if you prefer the redundant, but more common term, "Inside neck ream."

In the 1995 Precision Shooting Reloading Guide, one of the authors described a 300 Win Mag he had that just would not tune below 2 moa no matter what he did by way of component choice or load adjustments or case prep. The last thing he tried was outside turning the neck. The groups dropped to 1 moa. So, it isn't necessarily a waste of time to try it, especially if the Weatherby is to be used at long range. No guarantees, of course, but worth a try.

There was a tool made by the old Lee Manufacturing Company that held a case in a neck sizing die to align it, and had a concentric journal for a special reamer with integral shaft for the journal that you ran inside and cranked by hand to render the neck wall thickness uniform all around. It was called a Zero Error Target Lee Loader. In my opinion, the neck turning method was better than outside turning because it not only got all neck walls the same uniform thickness, but it simultaneously removed any inside donut there might be. The only thing lacking was giving you a choice of cutting depth and resulting neck thickness. But no mandrels or adjustments were required.

Yep. It was. I have them in 222 Rem, 30-06 and 308 Win. I've shot many a cloverleaf with the Triple Deuce loaded in mine. I've always been sorry Lee Precision didn't take up their production along with the basic Lee loader.

Back