Anybody else shot any Federal .45acp 100 round bulk packs lately???

IdahoG36

I wanted to get some opinions about the commonly seen (at Walmart for me) Federal 230gr fmj 100 round bulk pack ammo. I purchased six boxes over the last 2 years, and finally shot through my other range ammo to get to this stuff.

I took 2 boxes of it out to the range to shoot through my Glock 21 and 30. I was simply amazed at the amount of debris that comes out of the muzzle with each shot!!:eek::eek:

Picture a party popper that shoots confetti, and that was my experience with this ammo. But instead of confetti, it was soot and ash. After shooting all 200 rounds, I had soot/ash all over my hands, forearms, forehead, and on top of my head. And I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say it was a substantial amount.

I am just curious if anybody else has had a similar experience with this ammo? I have shot ammo from just about every manufacturer there is, in all different calibers, and have never experienced anything quite like this with any other ammo. Federal 9mm in the 100 round bulk pack shoots relatively clean.

While all 200 rounds fired reliably, both pistols were absolutely filthy, as was I:( I still have 400 rounds of this stuff left, and I'm questioning if I even want to shoot it.

If the problem is that the ammo is dirty the resolution would be to clean your guns after firing. Wouldn't that be right?

If you don't want to fire the ammo is that because you don't want to clean your guns?

tipoc

TipOC he is saying that this ammo is producing an unusual excess of soot and grime. I'm sure he is a grown man that knows how to clean his guns. Federal ammo typically shoots just as well, and as clean or dirty as most others lines. It's all right there in his post. It's not a big deal, but I'm guessing these experiences will just shift preferences when buying cheap blasting ammo.

I have shot some of this ammo lately also, and my arms, chest, and face were covered in soot. It looked like I had hugged a coal miner. I don't expect to come home squeaky clean, but I don't want to look like an ash can has been dumped over my head either.

I'll be buying other brands for the immediate future.

The WallyWorlds here do not have the Federal bulk ammo, but they do have the bulk UMC ammo in 250 count.

I bought some in 9mm to shoot for the brass and the wife needed some practice rounds.

We have shot maybe half of them and they are good quality and very accurate. They burn amazingly clean as well. No debris let in the barrel but the normal amount of soot in the action.

The pack was 64 + some change. Well worth the cost IMO.

I apologize if I sounded rude. But some ammo from major manufacturers, especially the bulk 100 round or 250 round boxes, is dirtier and occasionally less uniform in over all length then the ammo packaged in their 50 round boxes. This is the case at times with Federal, UMC and Winchester round bulk packs which are normally sold at a discount.

In general this ammo is often, not always but often, less uniform in one or another aspect. The oal may vary, the powder may be of poorer quality, the bullets or cases may be dinged a bit, etc. This is why it is sold in bulk packaging at a discount. To verify this for yourself look at the ammo before shooting.

The ammo is useful for running drills, close in practice (7-10 yards or closer), rapid fire training, etc. It is often too variable for longer accurate shooting beyond plinking.

It was rumored, but never confirmed, that this was the stuff that didn't pass inspection and thus was not sold in their normal packaging and sold instead in the 100 round bulk package.

Some of these boxes seem fine. The next box may be dirtier. The next have ammo that is dinged up a bit, etc.

It is safe and useful range ammo. But often there is variation beyond what normally comes from the 50 round boxes.

Dirtier ammo means more lead and powder residue. So the normal precautions against lead poisoning are followed...don't lick your finger, wash your hands, and clean your guns.

I use it and know what it is. Some fits all my needs.

One of my exes was a coal miner so I've never felt off about hugging them or giving an abrazo.

tipoc

Interesting observation tipoc.

ATK, federal's parent company is a global company, so one box of ammo may not come from the same factory as next. I'll keep an eye out.

ive shot Winchester and federal target ammo in my guns.... at times I thought it blew brass cleaning media out of it there was some much debris. didn't matter though... guns shot as they should.

I shoot a lot and buy ammo mostly thru Internet suppliers. I troll for the best deals and every time I am in Walmart or some Sporting Goods Stores, I will troll for good deals.

I prefer to shoot some brands over others as I have found Wilson White Box and Remington brass ammo to be less accurate than the others I prefer and indeed have found them to be dirty. I am more concerned with accuracy than dirt when I am doing drills. As a matter of practice, returning home from the range gets my range bag on the back patio where I can clean guns without smelling up the house with chemical smells. Once satisfied that my artillery is clean and in good working order, its time to hit the shower.

Ammo quality came up some years ago under ar15.com about Lake City 5.56. Because of reg/rule the same quality/configuration can not be sold to the public. Stripper clipped ammo are seconds, loose bulk are seconds or thirds. 20 rd boxed is first quality.

Back