Anybody convert their Sig P229 40S&W to a 9mm?

twin Sigs

Need some first hand experience from those who has converted their Sig P229 40S&W/.357Sig into a 9mm gun. Which barrel company? What are your results? Do I need to replace the recoil spring? Which Sig or aftermarket magazines for a 9mm will fit the P229 without any problems feeding the round? Thanks in advance.

I don't know exactly what has to be done for the Sigs for the caliber conversion. It does lead to several problems, such as case head diameters being larger for the .40 than the 9mm. This will affect the extractor and ejector and whether or not you have a cut breech face for the diameter of the round versus a flat breech face.

I'll post warning that KKM has for its Glock .40 to 9mm conversions.

*The .40 to 9mm conversion barrels were specially developed to shoot 9mm ammunition. These barrels are intended for training purposes. We suggest changing the ejector and extractor on the gun for proper ejection. This barrel is not intended for carry purposes or self defense.

I think that statement alone attests to the manufacturers belief that there may be some reliability problems.

I would suggest that if you intend changing calibers that you purchase an entire upper half to the 9mm and fit it to your frame.

Good Shooting
RED

May I ask why? Just curious.

If you want a smaller diameter bullets, the .357 Sig is a great choice. It puts a bullet out at over 1350 ft/s.

I want to know what others experience before I try it out. This will help me decide if I should even consider switching barrels. I want to try out all the features that the gun is capable of. I also want to try out the .357 at a later date...

You might have better luck if you post on Sigforum. I have the 9mm barrel for my P239 .40S&W. No it does not have extraction/ejection problems...it has been 100% reliable through 100s of rounds. I got my barrel from Bar-sto ($185) - it is a bit steep, but quite usefull. I also have a .357sig barrel (which is made by Sig). The 9mm barrel from Sig is NOT interchangeable with the 40S&W barrel; you have to get the 9mm/40S&W conversion barrel from Bar-sto for it to work. Obviously the disclaimers are legal stuff...I wouldn't read more into it than the lawyers getting paid for warding away evil spirits.

The 9mm conversion is great for saving money on ammo, plain and simple. The 9mm and 40S&W mags are interchangeable (in my experience). For the P239, the .357 mags are "necked down" so I had to buy extra mags for that barrel. Good luck.

Back