Any way to tell older from newer Ruger P95 ?

RH

Considering a used P95 I saw for a good price, but I've heard that the first models had accuracy & reliability issues. How can I tell if this model is newer or older ?

I have no idea how to tell its age but believe me....i own two of them,and their both very reliable and accurate.What kind of price was it sporting??

Considering a used P95 I saw for a good price, but I've heard that the first models had accuracy & reliability issues. How can I tell if this model is newer or older ?

You want a newer one. The first year or so they came out accuracy was only slightly above average and the extractor had a tendency to spit cases back at your face! To my knowledge, there were no reliability problems, but having 1 out of 10 shell casings come back and hit your face/head is a painful and irritating quirk. Ruger seemed to fix the accuracy and shell spitting troubles about one to two years after the P95 was introduced. I think if you look at the serial # and give Ruger a call, they might be able to tell you the year it was made.

My family has owned five different P95s, including first year production, and never had any problems with accuracy or reliability.

I did have problems hanging on to them, but a little grip tape solved that.

After the P97 came out, I believe Ruger went to the slimmed down safety levers on the P95, as introduced on the P97.

They should give you some idea of it's age.

RH-I've never heard of ANY "bunch" of problems with ANY of the Ruger P-series autos, OTHER THAN the first [pre-"Mark II"] P-85's that were horrible in the accuracy dept.-and not much better in the reliability dept.!!! I've got a fairly early KP-95 that has never given a bit of trouble...now, if only I could find someone to get all the "creep" out of the SA trigger!!!....mikey357

Back