Any thoughts or comments on the Springfield 1911 RO Elite

Juancts

Today I went to my local gun store and saw a Springfield 1911 RO Elite in .45 compact size. Looks good and feels nice for $1k.
I know it's not a high end 1911, but I want it for daily CCW.
Appreciate your thoughts and comments about this gun.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've had my standard size RO since Oct. 2012 and it's been a joy. I eats everything and just plain doesn't fail to function. Decent trigger, accurate, forged frame and slide. Great pistol.

Its probably a good gun, but being old AND cheap, and already owning a good Colt, there's no way I'd pay $1,000 for ANY new made 1911A1 class pistol.

But, that's just me...

That steel loop around the trigger makes a nice secure attachment point for the trot line. :D

You said "any"... :p

The original RO was a screaming deal when they were $750, but not sure about the other versions that have been introduced, since?

Yeah, the price has crept up -- so this year at SHOT Springfield introduced a new "budget" version, the Ronin series. They list for about 100 bucks less than the Range Officer.

Unless you feel that you can wait until selection and prices come down, I think you would be happy with the RO Elite. To me, it's worth the extra $ over the Ronin series because I'm a lefty and need the ambi safety. (Plus, I prefer the look of the RO Elite to the Ronin.)

As for Springfield Armory 1911s in general, I have a government-sized Loaded model with which I have been extremely pleased.

I had a Range Officer for a number of years. I was very happy with it. It was generally very reliable and the fit and finish were above others I owned, including the 1991 I owned. The Elite is more money, but if the features are worth it to you I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about the RO, but if you're looking for a 1911 carry in the 1K range, you would do well to check out the Dan Wesson Vigil Commander. If you were looking for something smaller, consider the ECO. If you're a veteran, you can get a sweet price on DW's.

I don't know about the RO, but if you're looking for a 1911 carry in the 1K range, you would do well to check out the Dan Wesson Vigil Commander. If you were looking for something smaller, consider the ECO. If you're a veteran, you can get a sweet price on DW's.
Dan Wesson Vigil is an awesome gun, but I can't find one available anywhere. Gun inventories are low everywhere.

Dan Wesson Vigil is an awesome gun, but I can't find one available anywhere. Gun inventories are low everywhere.

Go directly to CZ-USA / Dan Wesson. As I said, if you are a vet or first responder, they offer a nice discount. There were none in supply anywhere when I ordered from them, but they shipped me one within a couple of days of placing my order. They are a class group at Dan Wesson.

Go directly to CZ-USA / Dan Wesson. As I said, if you are a vet or first responder, they offer a nice discount. There were none in supply anywhere when I ordered from them, but they shipped me one within a couple of days of placing my order. They are a class group at Dan Wesson.
Thanks !!

I think DW had to shut down for a while due to Covid-19 orders from the NY governor. That may have created a bit of a supply lag. I know they laid off a couple of gunsmiths doing warranty work and service is now being done from Kansas. I just had a DW 1911 returned from there for warranty work. I think DW has plans to move to Arkansas

I should add to my post above that my Range Officer isn't my first or only Springfield 1911 as I also have a Mil-Spec I got NIB in March 2011 as well. It's been reliable as heck and I really like it as well. However, my son 'liberated' it from me as he likes it as well. In fact, it's the reason I got the RO later that year.

I think DW had to shut down for a while due to Covid-19 orders from the NY governor. That may have created a bit of a supply lag. I know they laid off a couple of gunsmiths doing warranty work and service is now being done from Kansas. I just had a DW 1911 returned from there for warranty work. I think DW has plans to move to Arkansas
My DW was shipped from CZ HQ in Kansas City, MO.

Back