Any thoughts on Taurus' CIA short snout revolvers?

Waitone

I'm trying to decide on a CCH type. I see lots of slide guns that look good but I am concerned with the reliability issue when it is important. A revolver looks simple, straightforward, and easy to operate. Reliability seem to be much higher than that of a slide gun.

I was in my local gunstore fingering for the first time revolvers and came in contact with Taurus's new CIA series. For now its availabe in .38 +P and .357 mag both with a 2-1/4" ported snoot, concealed hammer. Profile is thin, weight is comparable to slide guns, 5 shots. My only complaint is it is a 3 finger hold, not the four I deemed necessary.

What are your thoughts. Is a .357 mag a bit much in a short snout? It would be used only for CCH but I will practice and reload for that practice.

Opinions are welcome. This is a major shift for me since I am one of those slide gun bigots.

M850SS2.jpg

I never paid much attention to the CIA because I didn't know it came in 357 Magnum. I'd consider one, but it just looks like it has a weird shape in the back. I am not big on DAO handguns, but if I was to get one, I think I would go with something like an SP101 with a shaved/bobbed hammer. That is just personal preference though.

There are two CIA models. One is the 650 CIA which is the 357, and the other is the 850 CIA which is the 38+p. On the outside these guns have the same exact dimensions. I wonder what has been beefed up in the 357 version over the 38 version. Obvioulsly all the differences are internal.....

The only one my shop had in stock

was the .38. It had some sort of burr bad enough to prevent hammer fall on one of the chambers. The owner muscled in on through, and then it seemed to be OK. In .357, this would seem like a decent package. You get grips that take away some of the sting, and the porting. Plus, the ejector rod allows for full-length extraction. Just make real sure you eyeball the one you want for any QC problems.;)

Why would you buy a Taurus CIA, when -- for about the same price -- a Ruger SP-101 is available (2 or 3 inch barrel, DAO or SA/DA hammer, full range of .38/.357 loads)?

RWK one reason to get the CIA over the SP101 is it's lighter only a couple ounces unless you get the Taurus titanium version (says it's available but has no details) which would make the Taurus about 1/2 as heavy as the Ruger.

See if the Houge grips are avalible for it. They are slightly longer than stock, and have three finger grooves. I use the on my sp101 357 and love 'em.:D
Also: I'm not sure lighter is better if you plan on shooting 357 instead of 38 spec? I picked the sp101 partially because it was heavy for its size. As far as for CCH use, a snubbie doesn't weigh as much as a 1911 clone anyway.
I shoot nothing but 357 in my sp101, it isn't "too much" for a snubbie if you practice.

Lighter may not be better, we're getting into perceived recoil there which will be different for everybody. Lighter is better when we're talking about a gun that will be carried far more than it's shot. I would rather have a nasty recoiling little revolver that weighs 13oz than a easier to shoot one that weighs 26oz if I'm going for something that's easy as possible to conceal and carry. The 13oz is going to ride in a front pocket much easier than the 26oz. Of course that's personal preference, but Waitone was asking for opinions.

Nuther opinion. I don't subscribe to the school of light for carry and heavy for practice. I shoot my carry guns a lot. I want to be the best I can be with my carry guns. One of my favorite pocket guns is a 2½" round butt model 19. It weighs 38 oz including ammo and pocket holster. Pleasure to wear. Pleasure to shoot. Comforting.

Sam

JohnK, I agree if we're talking about pocket carry. Anywhere else it comes down to equipment: With a good holster & GOOD BELT, weight really is a non-issue with any snubbie.(I learned about the equipment the hard way first time around.)

i'm still waiting to handle my first CIA and comparing their Ti for weight. thought it would make a good companion for my 642, for less money. i also like the idea of a longer ejection rod.

i owned the sp101 for a while but it's size and weight just made it too big for anything less than a holster. i found my smith 2.5" m-66 easier to carry

i really like the internal hammer because it doesn't snag, is sealed from lint and allows a higher grip. i don't do any handgun hunting and only use my revolvers for defense...for that use the DAO is the most accurate way to go.

what i'm still looking for is a stockmaker who will bring the grips up to the top of the frame.

I wonder what has been beefed up in the 357 version over the 38 version. Obvioulsly all the differences are internal.....

It's possible (and I'd think likely) that there are in fact no differences other than the chambering. A lot of security firms and some police departments mandate a .38 special caliber weapon so no unauthorized .357 mag ammo finds it's way into the gun.

I also seem to remember something about some countries mandating 38 special and under for civillians. Some companies thus find it profitable to make 38 special versions of whats really a 357 magnum gun. SW still does this with the 640 BTW

JohnK . . .

I agree the CIAs are lighter; but are they better?

I carried a full-size 1911A1 for many years (and frequently still do). It's not light or small; however, its effectiveness is proven. Similarly, a four-inch GP100 is a "large" revolver, but VERY effective with .357 magnum loads.

How is the idea that lightness equates to goodness analytecally supported? I respectfully suggest an appropriate answer is to find a HIGHLY effective firearm first, and worry about its weight second.

Is the CIA better than the SP101? Without trying to be funny, that depends on what you mean by better. The SP101 is without question stronger, heavier and easier to shoot, if you plan on shooting thousands of full power 357 rounds through it I'd have to say the Ruger is better. If however the goal is an easy to draw light CCW revolver I'd say the CIA is better.

The CIA is also newer which may be a factor against it. I don't know what internal changes Taurus made so this may also be an unproven design, again making the Ruger a safer, less risky, choice.

I disagree with the premise that the answer is to find a highly effective firearm first. In my opinion when looking for a defensive weapon caliber is the last thing to worry about. Reliability, personal fit, and personal ability to easily carry it all come before caliber. There's always a lot of talk about "stopping power" and which caliber is best but it still comes down to shot placement, and the 38 Special +P has been doing it's job for a very long time. I'd rather have a 357 than a 38 Special, but I don't feel undergunned when carrying a 38. I'm not looking at this situation from a theoritical 'which gun/ammo combo is best' angle, I'm looking at it from what I think is a realistic point of view. It's better to have what may be a slightly less effective gun (although even what is most effective is debatable) that you carry every day than have a more effective one in the safe at home.

If the CCW firearm is to heavy (a very subjective measurement) the it's not going to be carried often. That's the hard fact of the matter. People are lazy. If it's easy they're more likely to do something. I don't except myself from this category, I'd rather have a full size 45/9mm/357 magnum on me, but most of the time I just slip a 5 shot 38 into my pocket. Why? Because it's a hell of a lot easier than pulling out the holster, getting the belt, threading the holster on it, making sure I have a shirt on that can conceal it etc etc. Is all of that a huge insurmountable problem? Of course not, sometimes I do it, others do it all the time, but it's still easier to just pick up the smaller gun and go. Is this the best way to carry? Hardly! But in the real day to day world it works.

I don't think the Ruger is a bad choice, far from it, it's a vault strong easy to shoot snubby. But if I were the one looking to buy another small 5 shot revolver for concealed carry I would look at the CIA before the SP101. If I am going to carry something that requires a holster and everything that goes along with that I'll carry something more substantial than a SP101.

JohnK, after I got my ccw I committed myself to carry EVERY day. It was a little expensive(trial & error). But I'm finally down to 3 rigs that allow me to carry my sp101 in 98% of situations. It's to the point that not carrying is kind of like not putting on my socks.
A gun at home doesn't do any good at the gas station when mr. BG decides to rob it!!!

Last edited:
Good morning Ben,
"A gun at home doesn't do any good at the gas station when mr. BG decides to rob it!!!" That's exactly my point, we're just coming at it from different angles. You've made the commitment that you're going to change your behavior so you can carry your SP101 all the time - which is great! I don't think most people are willing to make that commitment long term. After they've been carrying for a while and that attack at the 7-11 doesn't happen while they're there I belive most peoples commitment to carrying starts to wane - I know it has among several people I know who have CCW permits. For those people I belive a smaller easier to carry gun will be carried more often than a larger heavier gun.

As I said it's not so much a question of wether the CIA is better or worse than the SP101, it's a question of the application.

JohnK, not much modification in dress. I usually wear untucked longer shirts and pants year round, have since junior high. No one thinks twice when I dress like that in the middle of the summer.

Back