Any thoughts on T/C Omega Muzzleloader?

mrcalm7

Just picked one up last night. A couple of guys told me to buy the Encore. It was about $100 + more than the Omega and I didn't need the swap out barrel feature. I'm really interested in the accuracy of the thing. Haven't had a chance to get to the range, and with all this rain, I won't for about a week.

I have a couple of flintlock rifles that I am more than proficient with. Put a Nikon scope on the Omega which is probably overkill since I'm very good with iron sights at 100 yards. Can hit bulls eye with my M1A and AR15 time after time, standing and kneeling.

Thanks in advance!

Jojo

i have a .45 omega and it's a great rifle. the bore is a little tight, making it really hard to shoot more than 3 shots without cleaning. however, if i clean between each shot, my rifle will shoot approx 1-1.5 MOA at 100 yds.

TC Omega

I have a .50 stainless Omega that shoots MOA with most everything I can get loaded in it. It is a little tight so some sabots are too big to load. You may have to select sabots and bullet combinations that will load within reason. Option is to go to Powerbelt bullets. My Omega seems to like the heavier bullets from 300gr. up. I would keep powder loads at the 100gr. black powder equivalent or a little less. I am presently shooting 80gr. of Black Mag3 with 300gr. Hornady bullets in Harvester sabots or 295gr. Powerbelts. My rifle does not like 777 as the crud ring is too much trouble to deal with. I made the conversion to .25ACP brass with small rifle primers in place of the 209 shotgun primers and that helps. With the Black Mag3 the powder ring does not occur even with the 209 primers. Pyrodex shoots OK but makes a lot more fouling than the BM3 powder. Clean Shot or (American Pioneer Powder) is the next best thing if you can't get the Black Mag3.

I just bought my omega a couple of weeks ago. I am new to muzzleloading, but I love this gun. After reading the rest of the post I see I might be loading it a little hot. I am shooting the 250gr shockwaves. I went out and bought the same sabots that you get with the gun. I use 777 over pyrodex just because it cleans up a little better. I know now this is a no no, but i started with 150gr. I started at 50yards working my way out to 150 yards. I have never shot such a good pattern especially at 150 yards. This was with a junk tasco pronghorn. I did three shot patterns cleaning the barrel after every third shot.
I shot a total of 15 rounds that day got hit in the nose 3 times from my junk scope and had 14 rounds in a 5 inch circle. 1 round was just outside and it was right after the scope poked me. Like I said I am no pro by any means. I think these guns are awsome. After the season I am going to try some different combos, but its huntin time right now. Have fun

Back