Any thoughts on Ballistol preservative for storing firearms?

AEM

I live in a very humid climate and constantly worry about rust. A local dealer recommended a porduct called Ballistol as a preservative. It is made in Germany and distributed by a N.C. company with no telephone number or web site listed. I can't even tell what the ingredients are, but it is apparently not a petroleum based product.

Is anyone familiar with this stuff and can tell me how it works for long term rust prevention?

got your ballistol on the desk with me now...ballistol is a wax based product, not a petroleum base (wd40)...works allright on my guns, but leaves a film if heavily coated and aloud to sit for a while (weeks)...i've used it to wipe my guns down before i put them up, and seems to work fine...as for availability, it should be easily purchased at any hardware store...if ya can't find it, and really want some, contact me: twist996@hotmail.com...i've got lots of it....

Thanks for the info! I can get it here, but just wanted to hear from someone who has used it before coating my firearms with it. It is supposed to be good for the wood as well as metal, correct? How do you get it off wood and metal if you want to?

i have cleaned my weapons with ballistol, and wipe them down with a cloth rag coated with ballistol...as for getting it off, try hoppes, or simply wipe it down with more ballistol....as for wood, it's gonna soak in to an extent...any extra can simply be wiped off...

A friend recommends it heartily. Of course she sold a bunch of it, but hey...

Personally, as a spray-on, I prefer it to stuff like WD40.

And it makes the wood look nice.

AEM:
I have used Balistol on my clay target shotgun for 10 plus years. This gun gets pampered so I don't know how tough it is but I've never had any rust and it has been great on the wood.
All the best,
Bill Daniel

Back