Any suggestions on a good semi-auto .22 target pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

The target/plinkin' bug's got a hold of me. I'm aware of, but have no experience with, the target .22's offered by S&W, Browning, and Ruger. Any comments, good or bad, about any of these that would lead me in the right direction would be appreciated.

I believe most Ruger, Browning, S&W, High Standard, or Mitchell target autos will work pretty well. I am partial to the S&W Model 41 with the exception that the grips aren't real comfortable in my stubby hands. I have had real good luck with Ruger Mark II pistols. I have owned several High Standard target autos that were very good pistols. As for the others, I have heard good things about some of their models. As with anything, there are bad ones that will crop up now and then.
Most quality .22 target oistols are very good.
Only my opinion.
Cat

I use the older S&W 2206 in stainless steel for target comp.

A Browning Buckmark finally got a perfect 150 a few weeks ago at my Club.

A S&W new style polymer had the back of the slide BLOW OFF IT at the club!

Stay clear of the polmer Smiths....urrgghh ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Smith & Wesson Model 41

If you are serious about target shooting, that is all you will need.

For plinking, I like the Colt Cadet or the S&W Model 22

------------------
-Essayons

Went looking for a Colt Woodsman (no luck) but settled for a new "Colt 22 Pistol - Target Model" a bull barrel at a very reasonable price and quite accurate for plain old plinking. Have been impressed by the Browning Buckmark, like the older model S&W's (no polymer :) )- I guess the model 41 would be right for serious target - or one of the (depends on how serious) Hammerli's

Have a Ruger 22/45 with 4" barrel. Use it for plinking, but very accurate. The available longer barrel may work well for competition........and the price is right

I have a Ruger 22/45, Ruger Mark II,and a Browning Buckmark. All are equally reliable with the Buckmark being the most accurate, and the 22/45 being the most indestructable. Like others have mentioned, the Smith and Wesson 22a/22s are not the same quality (actually nowhere near the same) although priced in the same range. My 22s is quite accurate though. More accurate than the other 3. Even at that, I would not recommend it unless you plan on shooting very, very very few rounds. Can't comment on the Smith 41, but what Cat says comes the closest to a critisism I have ever heard.

------------------
(!)

I have personally had good luck with the Browning Buckmark 5.5 Field. It seems to be an extremely accurate little pistol with an easily adjustable and trigger and servicable sights. Far be it from me to denegrate the Smith 41, however, I have shot with my uncle on several occasions and his two old minty 41's simply are not as accurate. The 7.5 is almost as accurate, but the shorter barreled variation is just not all that impressive. I looked for an old 41 for awhile and suffered from sticker shock for some apparently thoroughly shot pistols. I would be careful of the new 41's as I understand they have some plastic parts and no cocking indicator. Which isn't bad in itself but your not getting the genuine article. If I were going to buy a new target .22, I would look at the High Standard Victor 10X or the new entry level Hammerelli(supposed to be reasonable). Your mileage may vary. matt garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back