Any stories of guns being stolen during off-body carry?

DirtyHarold

The discussion on off body carry recently came up and there was the usual argument of how it's a bad idea because if someone steals your backpack, purse, whatever they also stole your gun.

This got me wondering how often it actually happens. Has this ever happened to anyone or have you ever heard any stories of it happening? Bags get stolen every day, but I wonder how often it actually happens when there is a firearm in it. The reason I think it would be different is because [I would hope] people are a lot more cautious with bags with their firearm in it, not to leave it unattended or set it down.

I am sure it has happened before but I am curious if anyone has any stories to share, not looking to restart the debate on whether or not it's a good idea.

You hear about guns being stolen out of parked cars and when cars themselves are stolen. Not hard to find news stories about that. Does that qualify?

You can also find news stories about purses being stolen with guns in them.

Sounds like this robber knew there was a gun in the purse since that's apparently all he kept.
https://www.timesonline.com/story/news/2009/01/23/rochester-teen-charged-in-purse/18390840007/
When she tried to grab the purse back, police said, Myers struck her in the face and ran off with the purse, which had a Ruger P95 pistol inside. Myers removed the firearm and threw down the purse as he ran, police said.

This article contains a brief blurb about a gun stolen out of a coworker's purse and used in a murder.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/21/gun-theft-us-firearm-survey
A robbery that began with one stolen gun turned deadly when one of the thieves used another stolen gun – a Glock 19 pistol, taken from a co-worker’s purse – to fire several rounds through the door. One bullet struck Henderson in the head.
This got me wondering how often it actually happens.
It would be very difficult to come up with good statistics on this without doing some kind of thorough study.

Does it happen? Absolutely.

How often does it happen? About all that one can say is that it happens too often.

I have known some people personally who are simply careless with their bags even though they have firearms in them. Mostly women, for some reason.

It's the syndrome of, "it won't happen to me."

Very strange.

--Wag--

Rare but it happens

The discussion on off body carry recently came up and there was the usual argument of how it's a bad idea because if someone steals your backpack, purse, whatever they also stole your gun.
This information is promoted, mostly as propaganda. Yes, it has happened and bound to happen again. However it's rare. There are a number of times when "we" lose control of our firearms. As far as ladies go, of course they carry in their purses an the bad guys, know this. I have noticed more open purses in shopping carts that make easy targets. ........ :eek:

Be Safe !!!

I respectfully disagree that the information is "propaganda". It also depends on how you define "rare".

Firearms thefts happen far more frequently (from vehicles or other sources of 'off-body carry') than the general public is aware of. It is true there are few sources of data specifically detailing "thefts from purses" for example, but this is in keeping with broader trends suggesting that gun theft statistics are incomplete because there are few laws requiring that gun thefts be reported, and where statistics DO exist, the data are aggregated to a point that "thefts from purses" or "theft from day planners" is not specifically categorized. In other words, any data in existence is both incomplete and insufficiently specific.

As far as I'm concerned there are two absolutes regarding concealed carry that should guide tactical decision-making --

The first is that your firearm should be under your direct control at all times.

The second is that if you ever need a defensive firearm you are likely to need it immediately. As in 'accessible in a matter of 2-3 seconds'.

Together these suggest that defensive firearms carriers are less likely to be negligent and more likely to be tactically prepared if their firearms are carried on their person in some location.

Off-body carry *in general* seems unwise to me because regardless of how prudent a CCW adherent may be, they generally (a) fail to maintain complete control at all times of whatever device the firearm is in (purse, fanny pack, day planner, backpack); and (b) people are very seldom able to execute a draw from these devices in a matter of seconds.

In other words, off-body carry supports general convenience but not tactical reality. People's lives simply do not support absolute positive control over purses, day planners, fanny packs or backpacks every minute of the day. They are quite frequently left sitting "over there". Even if you leave your firearm locked inside your car, it is far more likely that your car will be broken into than your firearm being stolen while in your belt for example - and in any case the firearm is not under your direct control, nor can you use it defensively while its locked in your car.

Therefore, regardless of the statistical frequency with which purses are stolen that contain firearms, the simple facts that purses are very frequently stolen, and even more egregiously, the occasional stories about children obtaining firearms from purses left unattended and killing others or themselves with them suggest that off-body carry is neither tactically sound nor ethically reliable as a means of concealing a defensive handgun. It certainly requires far more attention being paid to the object in which they're carried or contained, and even then lapses in judgement or attention can have fatal consequences.

Off-body carry is generally a poor choice, imho, regardless of how frequently such firearms are stolen. There certainly may be times when it is required by circumstances, but in general current firearms designs offer nearly anyone a means of concealing a defensive firearm on their person. And even though off-body firearms thefts are statistically under-reported, as noted above they happen too often for the possibility to be ignored.

Quick review - here are basic statistics
https://www.thetrace.org/2017/11/stolen-guns-violent-crime-america/

Last edited:
One of the problems is many places state, "No firearms". The morning I had to go to the hospital for an echocardiogram. State law says no firearms or weapons of any kind. It does kind of put people between a rock and a hard place. In businesses and such probably most will ask you to leave if they spot your firearm but you do stand a chance they might try have you arrested. The question is, do you want to take the chance?
Paul B.

A couple of years ago, my ex had her very nice, sentimental, tooled leather purse stolen at a park she goes to most days for exercise. Smashed a window to get it. She lives 2 miles from the parking lot, it drove me nuts she would insist on bringing it everywhere when we were still together.

They left her pistol behind.

The contents of the purse were found "in that part of town" a couple of weeks later by a business owner where they had been dumped.

Edit - it was not visible. She is smart enough to put it behind a seat and the back seats are permanently folded flat for the dogs, which covers anything behind the front seats. Just "those people" have been coming to this part of town because they know there are juicy prizes.

Last edited:
The new chief of the Memphis Police Dept. had her gun stolen from a car she was a passenger in.
She was going to "get the stolen guns off the streets." Instead, she added to them.

Off-body carry.

Does the FBI agent leaving his pistol in the public bathroom count as off-body carry?
Absolutely and one could make up a list of where or how this happens.
1. When you go onto property and in buildings that do not allow this.
2. When you go into a public restroom.
3. When you go to a freinds house and you are not covered well.
4. When you sto it in a new location, in your house.

Be Safe !!!

A girl I dated once had her purse stolen. She was a trackie and ran the kid down.
My slow butt showed up much later. The thief's two friends showed up right behind me.
They got into a tug a war over the purse. I took charge of losing the fist fight.
At some point, the purse blew up and contents flew all over the road.
The cops rolled up; the perps took off. We picked up her stuff. All ended well. Later she told me that she usually carries a pistol in her purse, but had left it at home that day. I had no idea--which is the concealed part of concealed carry, right?
Just going on statistical probability, I'm guessing that if a pistol had flown out of that purse, one of the 3 perps would have gotten to it before her (since I wouldn't have been looking for it) and we'd be dead.
Ever since then my carry motto has been "If it's not on you, it's not yours."
YMMV

Back