Any small handgun shooters in IDPA?

9mm1033

I'm new to IDPA so I started with my 5" XD Tactical. I've noticed many other shooters are using long barrel auto's as well. I'm going to try my SigSauer P229. It seems better fit for conceal carry. I was wondering, does anyone else uses a small/short barrel auto?

While I shoot a full size Government Model when I want the best score, I will shoot the compact guns occasionaly for the practice. The smallest pistol I have seen in regular use is the Glock 19... if you don't count the very senior FBI agent with his Detective Special.

Ditto. I shoot all-steel, 5" guns when I'm trying to win. I shot the last match with a Lightweight Commander, and shot the entire '05 season with my Detonics Combat Master. The Commander wasn't much of an impediment, but a short gun with reduced capacity is another story. Still, I didn't really know either gun very well until using them under match conditions. Anyone who packs should shoot some matches with their carry gun(s).

Glock 19. I have seen 26s and 27s. I've shot my 26 at times.

I've also shot my SW 642. Saw a guy with a CZ Raimi once.

It's an interesting philosophical question. Shoot a carry sized gun vs. an extended one.

I see lots of G19 sized - XD similar size and 1911s. I also shoot my SW 1911 Sc commander. But that's a touch big for hot weather CCW

It's an interesting philosophical question. Shoot a carry sized gun vs. an extended one.

I agree. I thought IDPA was designed for defensive training purposes. But, it is a game and many use their "game guns" from what I'm seeing. I'm not cutting down the sport, I really enjoy shooting the stages. But, I think I'll try my compact auto and see how well she performs. I'm not competitive with the young guns anyway, my eyes are old and I'm a senior shooter.

Glock 19 here. It does seem funny that there are those who, as Wault Rauch said, "Talk .45, shoot 9mm carry .38 ." I'm not bashing IDPA either, I am a card carrying IDPA member. It does seem to be the case mostly, except the hardcore toters. I still haven't figured out why my card says "Safety Officer".
It seems to be over before I get caught up with the shooter!!!

I have shoot a P229 (in 9mm) and a P225 at major IDPA matches and did good for me....which sucks for just about anyone else. But that is not because of the gun but because of the shooter.

The courses of fire are usually oriented towards semis. The rules say revolver friendly but they are not usually 5 shot snubby friendly. They are 6 shot moon clip or fancy speed loader that never see the street friendly :D

That being said, I shot my 642 for grins and practice with the gun.

Bug stages are rarely done, in my experience. If you shoot the smaller guns, it is for you and not winning.

Club matches give you some leeway - but the sponsored matches definitely are not oriented towards smaller carry guns.

If one wanted an emphasis change - we could see the 32s enter the fray and allow the use of laser sights on Bug sized guns. For example, I have a CT grip on my 642. It is a realistic carry gun for me. But I can't use the laser in a match. Or I have a 432 - six shot snubby - why can't I shoot that as a norm in a match.

The IDPA journal argued against trying to define Bugs so guys wouldn't try to sneak bigger guns in - for example, there was an argument about snub nosed SW Model 10s.

Oh, well.

I shoot with a G32, .357 sig. I may be the only one with this caliber, lol.

I see a lot of people shoot with short autos. I shot with my P232 once (4 mags), becuase I carry it often. Its all about what you want to get out of it.

How's a KelTec P3AT grab ya? :cool:
This was my first time running it at an IDPA, but I'm hooked now.
A couple of us ran BUGs just to do something different and I think we started a new fad.

I shot my M&P 9mm compact once or twice. I wasn't at a huge disadvantage but then again I'm not shooting expert or master. I usually win MM and/or come in mid-level SS in the divisions I shoot. Same results with the compact as my XD or PX4.

I shot my first IDPA with a full size P220 last night. What a freakin blast.

But like 9mm1033 said "I thought IDPA was designed for defensive training purposes." So I think I'll be using my Glock 30 also since that is what I will be carrying.

I'll should get better scores with the P220 but I wanna train with what I'll be carrying. Scores don't mean that much to mean right now. I want to be proficient with my carry piece.

Back