Any Shotshell reloaders here?

USSR

I shoot in a local trap league, so at this time I am actually loading more shotgun shells than metallic cartridges. Trap or Skeet, what components and loads do you use?

Don

I started loading metalic but eventually got to shotshells. It's, to me a different game. You open the manual and do not vary from what is there. I think the problem with the shotgun is two of them. First off it seems that depending on the case your using, the volume changes! And then shotgun powder's are a lot like hand gun powder's and in some case's the same. Thay burn very fast and a little bit goes a long way. What I do is I load everything to target velocity and then choose shot size depending on what I shooting. Skeet would get #8 shot at 1200fps with what ever wad and primer the data said to use. Same exact load for pheasant but change the shot to #6! Chukar and quail, again same exact load but change the shot to #7 1/2. I don't know just how well it actually does work but has always worked for me. I use the 1200fps to help control recoil. In my 12ga years ago I only shot 1 1/8oz at everything, 16ga 1 oz, 20ga 7/8oz and 3/4oz in my 28's. I don't hunt waterfoul! Actually I haven't shot skeet or trap in years either but I do know if I wanted to go shoot skeet tomorrow, I could go get a box of 1 1/2oz 12ga with #5 shot going 1300fps and it would break ever target hit with it! probably break me also! :-)

Like you, Don, I go for 1200fps loads. For 16 yard Trap Singles, I use 7/8 oz #8 loads. It doesn't really take bone crusher loads to break clay birds, so I use light loads to conserve my components and my shoulder. Yes, shotshell powders and handgun powder are one and the same. Convenient, huh? I use Red Dot and 700X, both of which are excellent handgun powders.

Don

Like you, Don, I go for 1200fps loads. For 16 yard Trap Singles, I use 7/8 oz #8 loads. It doesn't really take bone crusher loads to break clay birds, so I use light loads to conserve my components and my shoulder. Yes, shotshell powders and handgun powder are one and the same. Convenient, huh? I use Red Dot and 700X, both of which are excellent handgun powders.

Don

I'm out of 700X right now but have about 10# of Red Dot. I'm a cast bullet shooter! :)

I use Red Dot powder, claybuster wads CB8100, I run about 1150 FPS , and use Gun Club shells, with a 7/8 shot load of 7 1/2 shot. For primers I use Winchester primers.

Also a fan of Claybuster wads. Use a lot of the CB1100-12 and CB0178-12 wads for 7/8 and 1 oz loads.

Don

You can even get away using Bullseye for light 1oz loads.

Yeah, got an old reloading manual that lists a couple Bullseye loads. Got plenty of 700X and Promo, so no need to go there. At some point though, I will be trying a 1 oz WST load.

Don

I load a 3/4oz load in 12, 20 and 28 and ½ in 410…these loads have done very well for me at the distances I normally shoot…if I miss the bird it wasn’t the load it’s all on me. I’m a skeet, 5-Stand and sporting shooter way more than trap…I can count on one hand the number of times I shot trap last year. Claybuster wads, AA hulls and Win 209 primers across the board…12ga - Clay Dot powder; 20 & 28ga - 20/28 Powder; 410 2400 Powder. I found out I needed to choke 2 tighter than what someone else would with the lighter load for 5-stand and sporting…took a while to figure out what was going on, but once I did my scores came up to where I expected them to be.

I reload 3/4oz for 12 and 20 as it lets me get 533 rounds from a bag of very expensive (and now very hard to find) shot I run mine using Titewad and found that 18.3 will get my 1275fps and that load will always work my gas guns and burn cleaner than the load that was running 1210 (loads run over a chrono at 5' from the muzzle)
Shooting the equal of a 28 gauge load in a 20 or 12 is fun and I can shoot all day long with no recoil fatigue.

For best success, I always use 1 .005 constriction tighter than I would if shooting a basic 12 or 20 factory load. So, if a 20 shooting 7/8 was using a IC choke, for my 3/4, I would go to LM instead. Awesome cores and great breaks even at distance - I just need to do my part.

Yeah just started last year , and you guys here at the firing line helped out a lot thank you . Thought I'd post my new to me press .

MEC SM82 it's old and dirty but seems to be in good shape , just needs a good cleaning .

lGHyUF.jpg

I'm very excited to have this new press because I learned on the Lee load all which is OK but this MEC is clearly several steps above . I don't know much about these and right now the charge bar does not slide fully back and forth , not sure what that is yet . When I clean it up I'll take a closer look .

Any help on cleaning and lubrication would be great , it did not come with instructions or the manual . Like the auto prime tray seems interesting but it does not actuate automatically . Is it supposed to or do I manually pull or push something to get it to drop a primer ?

Anyways thought I'd share , thanks in advance :)

Mg,

Don't use oil or grease on the charge bar. Get some powdered graphite from an auto parts store and spray it on the bar. There should be a small "chain" that activates the primer release from the tray when you pull the handle.

Don

OK thanks guys I'll check all that out and get back to you .

You need to be careful though.
They tend to gwow like wabbits.

Haha don't I know it , I never intended to load shotgun and all of a sudden I have 2 shotgun presses . Well actually I knew I might some day and is why I had the Lee press years before I ever even tried loading with it . Once I started the wabbits seem to have come out though .

I actually got several reloading components do to an unfortunate event where the previous owner is no longer able to use his equipment .

I've got this museum piece lol

NkQysm.jpg

As well as this one

RaZ9je.jpg

Along with that RCBS uniflow powder measure and a assortment of old dies and other reloading tools . To include shells , wads , #8 shot and a 1/2lb of modern Green-dot ( plastic bottle ) and a couple pounds of 3031 and 4895 in the old metal cans .

All for free which is just the right price :cool:

Last edited:
I have 6 MEC's, awesome machines

Love those 3/4oz loads. First started loading 3/4oz in 20ga for my son to practice with on skeet range, gave him an 870 for his 9th birthday. Nothing builds confidence like making hits and light recoil.

When I started Cowboy Action, 3/4oz 12ga on a SxS made for extra speed

Discovered they were great dove and quail loads, too.

Those green or black Remington promo hulls load great.

In case someone is interested, I have 2 unopened 1/2 pound cans of IMR 700X that I'd trade or sell to someone. PM me if you're interested. I'm in Willamina, OR.

Tony

Back